PHASE IN AND OUT (HEAR ME OUT) Automate

PHASE IN AND OUT (HEAR ME OUT) Automate

Postby CTB » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:31 pm

GM (RIM) and CHRYSLER (ARO) dealer here... We also have Automate as our DMS. Although our inventories are managed by the manufacturers and parts have to stay in our systems for at least 15 mos without sales before they are eligible to go back without penalty we have an issue in both dealerships with high counts of parts in the NS AND AP status ... We have looked at some of these numbers how they get these parts statuses. We reached out to automate for assistance on a fix and they told us that since we are RIM and ARO it doesn't matter that they are in NS OR AP and there is no fix. We had a consultant in and he didn't think that was correct so we ran a suggested stock order then killed it and it did bring those part number counts down a bit but not enough. I checked some of the numbers in NS that are RIM MANAGED and a lot of them haven't gotten to the 15 month no sales yet.... What are your thoughts... something to worry about or not. When a dealer sees parts ($'s) in NS or AP it appears to them that we may have a lot of idle parts when in all reality we may not.. FYI our 18 months no sales is actually pretty good..
CTB

Re: PHASE IN AND OUT (HEAR ME OUT) Automate

Postby PartsDanager » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:11 pm

Never worked in automate, but its weird to me you have no control over parameters to set stocking status/parameters.
Depends on who is analyzing your work other than yourself to me though. May need to fill them in on RIMs program and pull the reports directly from them. That will be a more accurate in context to your stocking plan than a DMS report.
Obsolescence itself has a different definition depending what group you talk to. I personally look at anything 12mo/no sale as obsolescence because a given part of that is technically at breakeven, because of labor to inventory/cost of storage etc. The dealer programs (RIM especially) are designed to make the manufacturer profitable, not necessarily the dealer. Certainly they attempt to 'help' but they don't help the department so much in the ultimate goal of a parts department, which in my opinion is to find a balance that purchases the best level of service (90 Fill Rate) while keeping the inventory investment as small as possible.
PartsDanager

Return to Parts Managers