Measurement metric

Measurement metric

Postby lastminuteracin » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:26 pm

So I have a newer employee. Actually 13 months. He sold me on what a counterman he could be when he came from another dealership. Turns out he knew little if anything about being a counterman. So here in the great state of California it's hard to just can someone. HR is scared to death of a lawsuit. You have to build a case (which just causes more problems). What I need is to give him an action plan for improvement. What he needs to learn is to be self sufficient and not rely on everyone else to solve his problems. I want to put him on some Saturday shifts but no way he could handle it. I honestly don't think he even fully grasps the part numbering system yet. The other guys nicknamed him first day because even a year plus into it and it seems like everyday is still his first day.
Anybody know what kind of performance metric I can give him as goal? Just sales won't work because he does sell stuff. It's just that he relies far too much on others to figure out stuff for him. He's driving me crazy and I've got to get him figuring this stuff out or find a way to can him.
lastminuteracin

Re: Measurement metric

Postby PartsPlant81 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:52 pm

Not sure exactly what metrics can be set up but if he's been there 13 months and not grasping it; I'm confident they will not be getting it at any point especially if they have already been trained and know what is expected of them.

I am in a similar situation as I just had my main counter person that was here for 32 years retire at the end of the year and we just finally got somebody to replace him last week! :o

I can already tell it is going to be a lot of work to get the new hire on board even though he used to run his own department alone allegedly.

I hope you can find someone to fill the role; it is becoming virtually impossible these days.
PartsPlant81

Postby Denise Trimble » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:17 pm

13 months is one heck of a probationary period, yet we all know it takes years to perfect the craft. As far as his performance: How does he feel he's doing? If he is unaware of how badly he is doing, which it sounds as if the fellas have let him know; then maybe present him with a spread sheet of how many dollars he's generated for the company versus how many dollars he's wasted in his mistakes. The visual aid may be more helpful than you think. How is he doing with the Parts intro COL courses? Can he be repurposed as a delivery person or Service porter? Regarding termination: can the position be eliminated where his services are no longer be required? If I were in your place, (and knew CA compliance laws, which I do not) I may have him sign a formal probationary itinerary with a goal of "improve or move on" by a certain date. By the 13 month mark, he should have the basics under his belt, for sure. I'm thankful that our state does not require an employer to keep a person on the payroll for any reason.
Denise Trimble

Postby last8please » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:24 pm

yikes 13 months?? I am with Denise, repurpose him somewhere else, he is not going to get it. My new guy has been here 3 1/2 week's and I am going to schedule him on Saturday's starting in May.
last8please

Postby smoyer » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:19 pm

should of cut the cord a long time ago I hired a young lady in December pretty much green took her 90days and she now works every Saturday by herself, some people just are not ment to be in parts
smoyer

Postby Stevenspeaking » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:35 pm

lastminuteracin wrote:Anybody know what kind of performance metric I can give him as goal?

My thoughts would be to sit with the employee and state the issues that need to be corrected. Once those are clearly identified have the employee state what actions they will take to meet the goal and when they will be met. This way the employee now owns the corrective action and time frame. It would be extremely hard for them to object to actions you may have to take. After all they set the goal. Make sure the action agreement is written out and signed by all involved parties.
sbrittain@mcgovernauto dot com
Stevenspeaking

Postby smoyer » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:59 pm

Stevenspeaking wrote:
lastminuteracin wrote:Anybody know what kind of performance metric I can give him as goal?

My thoughts would be to sit with the employee and state the issues that need to be corrected. Once those are clearly identified have the employee state what actions they will take to meet the goal and when they will be met. This way the employee now owns the corrective action and time frame. It would be extremely hard for them to object to actions you may have to take. After all they set the goal. Make sure the action agreement is written out and signed by all involved parties.

From reading the post the problem appears to be a learning problem ,not following procedures, How do you set goals for learning?
smoyer

Postby Stevenspeaking » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:08 pm

lastminuteracin wrote: HR is scared to death of a lawsuit. You have to build a case

Schools have grades and report cards.
What I am suggesting to be done is documenting and confirming all training/tools have been provided. The conversation will spell out if the employee perceives that has been provided and check your first box.

Next track the progress using whatever was put in place during your conversation. Start by having all requests for help be sent via e-mail. Yes, this will be slower than co-workers just giving a quick answer. However, the goal here is not the answer but how often questions are asked and something that can be measured. The way of measuring has been agreed on by the employee. No progress = no job.

The main suggestion I was trying to make is, whatever is put in place for goal/measurement the employee has ownership of the solution as part of it. This way when/if action is taken, they can only blame themself and you have documented they had a fair shot.

This is about making a case that the employee can't argue against because they were involved in the attempt to avoid termination.

Just some thoughts I made an effort to put into a rough draft.
sbrittain@mcgovernauto dot com
Stevenspeaking

Return to Parts Managers