counterman interview questions

counterman interview questions

Postby Torgy » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:21 pm

I am looking for some helpful interview questions.

I am currently looking for a replacement counterman for a Chevrolet and Hyundai dealership. I have been fortunate over my 25 years as Parts manager of not having to hire many different employees. Most that we have hired in the past have been transferred from other departments. The applicants that we recently have had submitted to us, have 0 experience in the automotive world.
Torgy

Re: counterman interview questions

Postby AlanHomes » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:23 am

First question
"Do you have two pens in your shirt pocket ready to write?"
If the answer is NO, interview is over
If the first question is answered YES
Second question is
"Are you offended easily?"
Third question is
"Since you have absolutely zero experience in the automotive industry, are you here just to check the box on your weekly job search so I can sit back on my arse and draw unemployment?"
AlanHomes

Postby Torgy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:22 pm

:lol:
Torgy

Postby Denise Trimble » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm

I feel sorry for you, trying to fill any position with a zero experience person. I may have put the zero experience applications are in my "...if I ever need a driver..." file. I would definitely call references first. I've even visited a person's current, yet local, job to get an idea of their skill set. Once the candidate is in front of me, I'd ask about their hobbies and commitments and community service work; to get an idea if they feel dedicated to anything at all. What makes them interested in this position? What is their goal in this industry? The statement I always hated being asked, (but love to ask for squirmy sake) is "Tell me about yourself." Be comfortable with the silence. I always ask if they are comfortable interacting with customers. (anything but "yes" means they're not for my team) Of course, they will be fed by your positivity and enthusiasm, if they're the right candidate!
Denise Trimble

Postby ehiatt » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:46 pm

This reminds me of a joke:

Interviewer: What is one of your weaknesses?

Applicant: Honesty.

Interviewer: I don't think honesty is a weakness.

Applicant: I don't give a f**k what you think. :lol:
ehiatt

Postby PartsDanager » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:28 pm

With today's world some questions I would ask that aren't directly related to parts experience are:

Are you able to multitask? Provide an example of a time when you navigated through multiple problems quickly in another job.

What is your level of ability with a ten key?

What desktop applications are you familiar with? (doesn't matter what they answer, just check to see if they are at least computer literate)

If they've worked retail, ask what they know about inventory management specific to their retail application.

Ask about how they resolve problems, either with coworkers or customers, depending on if you expect a customer facing role or a tech/writer facing role.
PartsDanager

Postby Ichabod Farquar » Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:50 am

I actually came up with a test that we used for a while. This was a written multi-page exam. It asked basic automotive questions, like where would you typically find a ring and pinion gear? What is a tie rod and where would you find it? There were multiple choice questions as well. This gave me an idea if they had any idea of what some automotive parts were. This test was also attached to an old school job application. Most applicants were applying online and we would receive a resume from them through Indeed or the like. Giving them the application with the test was interesting. On many occasions the application work history did not match the resume. Also this gave us a chance to look at writing and spelling skills. Gave us a chance to get an idea of basic thought processes - sometimes we asked the same question twice or the same question two different ways. The test was approximately 4 or 5 pages, the application was similar. Don't use it anymore, not certain if HR put a stop to it or why we stopped.
Ichabod Farquar

Postby AlanHomes » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:10 pm

Ask what years a radiator cap was used on Covair engines
AlanHomes

Postby Bucko21 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:54 pm

AlanHomes wrote:Ask what years a radiator cap was used on Covair engines

On the same question ask what years radiator hoses were available, and whether or not the car had a Muffler bearing. ;)
Bucko21

Return to Parts Managers