Upcoming UAW strike and preparation

Upcoming UAW strike and preparation

Postby joecool17 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:34 pm

Hello everyone. Curious to see how many of you are preparing for the upcoming strike? I have filled up utilizing QPO's throughout the last several months, along with upping my RIM stock to weather the storm. The last time this happened it lasted 6 weeks. Hopefully, it won't last long. Any thoughts or suggestions on preparation?
joecool17

Re: Upcoming UAW strike and preparation

Postby Parts007 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:23 pm

I was thinking of creating the same post yesterday.

Changing RIM policies is a long slow process, and you can only perform one at a time over the course of a two days. All that goes out the window when they change the part in question to a status 01 part. Then it is no longer RIM Managed for an undetermined amount of time.

First comment is this. YOU CANNOT OVERSTOCK EVERYTHING YOU WILL NEED if a strike occurs. Impossible feat. You can, however increase all your fast movers. Filters, brakes, wipers, what else?

It all comes down to: Time to spend messing with inventory; money to spend on extra parts; and extra space to store all the extra parts.
Parts007

Postby Denise Trimble » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:45 pm

Part turnover stats show RIM isn't doing it's job anyway. We've been putting in daily DROs, instead of occasional, for the last month because it is already bad enough NOW! What a colossal clusterf*ck without the strike. Brace yourselves, people!
Denise Trimble

Postby PartsDanager » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:21 pm

Parts007 wrote:I was thinking of creating the same post yesterday.

Changing RIM policies is a long slow process, and you can only perform one at a time over the course of a two days. All that goes out the window when they change the part in question to a status 01 part. Then it is no longer RIM Managed for an undetermined amount of time.

I was just reading about how hopeful everyone was in ?2008?ish on this very same forum, when RIM was becoming the big thing.
I HAVE to ask... has a single upgrade to this system been made since then? Other manufacturers are
1)suggesting parts based on YOUR dealers demand
2)not suggesting parts at a low threshold. (1 sale, really RIM? sweet algorithm)
3)giving you the option to edit individual stock orders daily, instead of a stocking policy at weird intervals. (2 days to make a change on a part, if you don't want it you have to tell them you don't want it for 2 and a half months, etc.)

I'll be like everyone else and over ordering, because yet again GM is backed into a corner and will choose to screw dealers and therefore customers, yet again.

Frankly I work for GM and hope the next time they need a bailout they are just allowed to fail instead.
PartsDanager

Postby fxwgrider80 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:01 pm

We are doing the same thing, upping inventory on filters, wipers and brakes.
Saw an article this morning in the Detroit paper, UAW practicing picketing. I never realized
it was that hard that you had to practice.
fxwgrider80

Return to Parts Managers