LETS GET THIS GOING

LETS GET THIS GOING

Postby PartsOnBackorder » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:59 pm

OK , its on everyone's minds and it may even effect a few on here .

exactly 12 hours until contract UAW strike ............................. :roll:
PartsOnBackorder

Re: LETS GET THIS GOING

Postby olepartsguy » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:38 pm

how did the last strike affect you? I know it was in 2018-2019 right? I remember my sons vehicle was in our Body shop waiting for parts from Plant 76 for at least 3 months. I thought we were getting daily deliveries thru DDS but some plants were shutdown. was this a teamsters strike ? and is this why its going to be worse because the UAW is so much bigger?
olepartsguy

Postby PartsPlant81 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:47 pm

Last one was in 2019 and it lasted 6 weeks.

We ended up running out of a lot of parts even fast movers. We ended up drying out aftermarket suppliers after a few weeks.

This time I stocked up on a bunch of fast movers but even those are sparse as they are not all available for DRO orders at the moment.

It will definitely be interesting to see where this goes. We can only do the best we can though...
PartsPlant81

Postby Stevenspeaking » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:03 pm

Stellantis/Chrysler order system went down at noon for maintenance. It is scheduled to be back up and running tomorrow.

We will see...
sbrittain@mcgovernauto dot com
Stevenspeaking

Postby smoyer » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:30 pm

With gm only striking at one plant so far it has had no effect, BUT when the rest walk all hell will break loose, we will be chasing our tails every part
smoyer

Postby Denise Trimble » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:24 pm

Thankfully, we had quite the lead-time on this one! Last strike, our manager cleaned out the local ADI, Part Stores, Wal-Mart, Lowe's and Menard's just to keep the basic oil filters. This time, we were able to pre-game as much as GM allowed. With the 2019 strike, followed by COVID, and all the daily shortages we now struggle through in the domino effect; we have to be used to it by now. Unfortunately, the general public still subscribes to a instant gratification manifest. I subscribe to the facts: 1) They're all "waiters", and 2) They'll just wait longer. I am sincerely grateful our customer base is very understanding and mostly loyal.
Denise Trimble

Postby Denise Trimble » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:21 pm

Question: What keeps The Big Three from telling the union workers they are locked out? "...If you strike and/or walk out on your job responsibilities, after the contract expiration; Manufacturer X will consider it your resignation..." Their contracts will not be renewed, and if they'd like to apply for a non-union position (possibly keep seniority) for reasonable pay they may be gainfully employed at said workplace. If The Big Three do not use this opportunity to their advantage, it would be atrocious. Someone else will fill those positions. The cemetery is full of people who thought they couldn't be replaced.
Denise Trimble

Postby last8please » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:34 pm

Denise Trimble wrote:Question: What keeps The Big Three from telling the union workers they are locked out? "...If you strike and/or walk out on your job responsibilities, after the contract expiration; Manufacturer X will consider it your resignation..." Their contracts will not be renewed, and if they'd like to apply for a non-union position (possibly keep seniority) for reasonable pay they may be gainfully employed at said workplace. If The Big Three do not use this opportunity to their advantage, it would be atrocious. Someone else will fill those positions. The cemetery is full of people who thought they couldn't be replaced.

love this idea!!!!
last8please

Postby 2longinparts » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:25 pm

I agree Denise. And they need to wake up before the Big 3 move all their assembly plant abroad. They already have quit a few already set up.
2longinparts

Postby Denise Trimble » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:17 pm

2longinparts wrote:I agree Denise. And they need to wake up before the Big 3 move all their assembly plant abroad. They already have quit a few already set up.

OR: Become even more automated with AI.
Denise Trimble

Next

Return to Parts Managers