Small Dealer Inventory

Re: Small Dealer Inventory

Postby RLWOLF » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:01 pm

pushit7,
The GM default source should be 100.
Anything in that source will sort to the appropriate source during a price update.
Always put any new GM parts in source 100 when you add them to your database.
If you want any items in a different source, create that source and in PMU set that source not to update that source during a price update.

Also, you can run an update manually at any time.
It doesn't have to be done at month end or new month.
RLWOLF

Postby RLWOLF » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:33 pm

pushit7,
You need to make sure in PMU that the GK update is set to update SOURCE.
Otherwise, it will not change any sources when run.
RLWOLF

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:49 pm

PushIt,
I would suggest going into CDK Service connect and do a search on "General Motors Auto-Truck Combined (GK) Parts Pricing Facts Sheet". This sheet will give you an idea as to what sources GM is figuring you are putting your parts into. I see no parts in source 107 (ACCESSORIES) or 108 (TIRES), which means you are not putting your tires in the tire source, nor accessories in the accessory source. Once you have your sources set up correctly your accessories will price out correctly, same with tires. I do agree with RWolfe about moving them to source 100 and running an update BUT only after you have set up all of your sources the way you want them. You also need to look at source accounting before you start moving things around or your controller will go ballistic.
Thanks,
Gerry
Gerry Laughlin

Postby greenthumb-38 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:13 pm

from my perspective this is all good advice and should be done promptly.

-$1500 per year is acceptable in my eyes, but the unanswered question regarding how price accruals are accounted for is paramount. Nothing is going down in price these days.

Implement these changes and get to a "ground zero point" and then see where your count and value lie after 12 months of managing your department on your next inventory. Based on GM's price increases, you should be about plus 2-5% depending on your operation.

one other question, not sure if it was asked. during inventory, are you running a variance ?? This will let you know how accurate your salesmen are documenting each and every transaction. That would be a number I would be curious to see and dig into.

-gt from California, also a GM store.
greenthumb-38

Postby pushit7 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:04 pm

These are something that I really need to learn. Something I really don't know about.
Very interesting and helpful suggestions.

Compared to the last inventory (about 5 yrs ago) it wasn't as bad as this one. I believe that time we had -90K in the whole which we couldn't figure it out.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I will try to get my hands on it asap.

btw
greenthumb-38 wrote:
one other question, not sure if it was asked. during inventory, are you running a variance ?? This will let you know how accurate your salesmen are documenting each and every transaction. That would be a number I would be curious to see and dig into.

-gt from California, also a GM store.

I don't think we do.
pushit7

Postby brparts » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:29 am

i posted this several years ago because the inventory and the GL did not come close to matching.this did not happen at my store , but a friends store. before my friend went to work there they fired the prior parts manager because the inventory was short 2 years in a row by thousands of dollars. when my friend took over he found out that the service manager had access to the parts side on RO's. after the cashier closed the RO he would go in and open it backup and change the parts prices and put the difference to labor. he was changing the list price and the cost to keep the gross percentage in line. Nobody in service should have access to parts on RO's.
brparts

Postby AlanHomes » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:01 pm

brparts wrote:i posted this several years ago because the inventory and the GL did not come close to matching.this did not happen at my store , but a friends store. before my friend went to work there they fired the prior parts manager because the inventory was short 2 years in a row by thousands of dollars. when my friend took over he found out that the service manager had access to the parts side on RO's. after the cashier closed the RO he would go in and open it backup and change the parts prices and put the difference to labor. he was changing the list price and the cost to keep the gross percentage in line. Nobody in service should have access to parts on RO's.

Excellent point. We caught a service manager with his fingers in the parts pie, he promptly walked out the door. Had a service manager after that with a big head. Used to come down to the parts department and throw a tantrum about his mechanics having to wait in line. I promptly reminded him that we are also responsible to answering the phone, also have a front counter to work with a small crew. He got red in the face and said "Don't you raise your voice to me" My response was "I have not even begun to raise my voice to you mother fu#$@r". No longer with us, good riddins.
AlanHomes

Postby RLWOLF » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:01 pm

pushit7,
I think I forgot to mention, you need to change your default source to "100".
It sounds like your default source is set to "106".
By doing so, any new items added to your database will be put in so 100.
RLWOLF

Postby AlanHomes » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:54 pm

For what its worth Default GM in Dealertrack is 001 If you are not careful, everything will default to 001 in Dealertrack

001 GM Main Parts
046 GM Accessories
166 Gas Oil Grease
400 Tires
999 Misc.
AlanHomes

Previous

Return to Parts Managers