GM Warranty Parts Scrapping

GM Warranty Parts Scrapping

Postby PartsDanager » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:08 pm

I'm looking to see what processes you have implemented to make sure parts that are susceptible to Warranty Parts Return are kept around until they can be disposed of.

In Kia, I simply get a report every two weeks telling me what I can get rid of.

With GM I'm just unsure and I'm lost in the sauce when it comes to reading policy. Can I just get rid of things after they've been accepted and paid for three days? If so, is there a monthly report that shows me when this happens?

I generally have just cleaned parts out that are 6 months old, but my Service Manager just told me he has an RO open since August that he is still arguing with GM about, I haven't been out to look, but I'd imagine it is gone.
PartsDanager

Re: GM Warranty Parts Scrapping

Postby jaybird62 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:32 pm

you have to retain warranty parts without a core for 7 days after the ro pays.. if it has a core , you can scrap it after 3 days.. make sure you or someone is watching to make sure gm does not send a wpc return request..

it is a pain, but i have a set of bins for this month, and another set for older ro's.. i go thru them in global warranty one by one to make sure they are paid before you scrap them.. i have never seen a report on them.. but i bet there is one..
jaybird62

Postby Parts007 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:00 am

I’ve been doing the same as jaybird for the past 20 years. I don’t view a report. I go thru each warranty part and see if it’s paid. I wait the extra day and scrap on the 8th day after paid and always check for WPC returns before I start the process that particular day.
Parts007

Postby jaybird62 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:48 pm

Parts007 wrote:I’ve been doing the same as jaybird for the past 20 years. I don’t view a report. I go thru each warranty part and see if it’s paid. I wait the extra day and scrap on the 8th day after paid and always check for WPC returns before I start the process that particular day.

i did get my IT guy to set me up with a laptop on wireless network so i can set it by my warranty bins.. sure saves alot of steps on my 62 year old knees...
jaybird62

Postby smoyer » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:18 pm

get access to warranty admin in global there is a link "by job number" I go through all my warranty scrap once a month and toss anything that was paid over 7 days
smoyer

Postby PartsChaos » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:08 pm

You can go to the Warranty Resource Center and type "Field Scrap" in the search bar on the top right. The search will bring up a PDF file on how to build a parts scrapping report thur GWM.
PartsChaos

Postby FairyGodMother » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:35 pm

Parts007 wrote:I’ve been doing the same as jaybird for the past 20 years. I don’t view a report. I go thru each warranty part and see if it’s paid. I wait the extra day and scrap on the 8th day after paid and always check for WPC returns before I start the process that particular day.

This is essentially what we do too. Have separate bins for the current month and the next month. I have a form I fill out that I file that says all the information on it alnog with the part number and a "tag number" I generate that I then also tag on the part itself. They are then filed in a thing on my desk that has 7 different sections and I have them labeled on the left with A B C D E F and then G. I have a dry erase board that I have all my current stuff on and on each date is a corresponding "Letter" along with the to-do letter. So today has D as the to-do which means 8 days ago was the 27th, and then that means I can knock those out. The letter assigned to today is "E" and the to-do of the 12th is "E". Tomorrow has the letter E for the to-do which was 28th and F as the letter for that date which goes to the 13th. Make sense? I have a really big office for a reason...
FairyGodMother

Postby GM prts mgr. » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:01 pm

We have them in either totes, a floor section, or our core section depending on size or if it has a core.
The totes and floor sections are sorted by the last digit of the ro.
We check accepted status by the job card in global warranty management.
If it is paid but has not reached the date limit yet we write the date on it that it can be scrapped so we do not have to check it again in gwm.
We do the floor section 1 day per week and the totes 1 day per week.
Easy peasy.
GM prts mgr.

Postby AlanHomes » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:52 pm

Our warranty secretary gives me a report a few times each week, RO number, lines on the RO that have paid and date. How she finds it is beyond me, it makes life much easier. The most important thing we can do here in parts is to make sure the parts are marked with the RO number and the RO is stamped.
AlanHomes

Postby Torgy » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:03 pm

I have never understood GM not being able to send a warranty scrap report to each dealer on a weekly basis.

Several years ago someone @ GM warranty walked me through this process to create a scrap report. It seems like a lot of steps, but once you do it a few times it only take about a minute to create the report.

It's a pretty crude instruction sheet that I whipped up, but I think it will help you out. Hopefully it uploads, if not drop me a message and I can e-mail it out. (well it did not load the attachment, I never had any luck with that on this forum)
Torgy

Next

Return to Parts Managers