Sales Ranking & bin locations

Postby imacdude » Tue May 28, 2002 4:59 pm

I am working with one of our parts managers in the arrangement of some new bins. In putting the Stanley Vidmar type bins together I offered to put a sales ranking report together to put fast moving parts in the bins closer to the tech counter. I was asked to do a little research regarding the pros and cons of this type of setup. I can see where the addition of new parts into the system may be a little awkward. Is this a system that anyone is using? Do you re-evaluate the arrangement every quarter, half, or year? Please advise.
Personally I dont see the cons outweighing the pros.

Thanks
John Belen
imacdude

Postby joe r » Tue May 28, 2002 8:00 pm

The only "con" to this is the parts person
will no longer have his or her personal time while walking to the other side of the department to pull a part that is sold every day. I've been doing this for years and re-evaluate about every four to six months.

The only thing is, I wonder why my counter people didn't think of it themselves.

Joe R

------------------
joe r

Postby Jim H » Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:36 pm

I started using this system about a year ago.
The main "problem" was getting used to 2 different locations for the same part group.
After 6 months, my counterman who is the most resistant to change, told me that he hadn't liked it at first. But he now sees
how much the change has reduced their walking.
I check the sales every 6 months.
Jim H

Postby scotstrong » Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:56 am

We use this system in all of our stores. I would recommend reviewing every 90 days so that you react quickly enough to seasonal items. Try to resist the temptation to pack these bins closest to the counter too densely. Lay them out with at least 10% unused space to allow for changes and moving parts within the same bin. When you first go to this setup, your counterpeople will notice the difference immediately. When they see the value, they become very willing to help manage it.
scotstrong

Return to Parts Managers