questions

questions

Postby turbo59 » Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:06 pm

i am a chrysler/dodge dealer.....using adp. chrysler part numbers go from one to 2 or 3 parts...ruling is sp776.

how do you get the pieces to show up in display? i have heard of a function called sdl....

warranty chargebacks on chrysler ro's, book to 24200 or 68700? we use 68700 to subtract it from gross profit....

thanks in advance
turbo59
turbo59

questions

Postby jazdale » Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:03 am

Turbo,

Function SDL was at one time a routine you had to request (no cost), but I believe it's become part of the standard software.

At funtion code - enter SDL
If it doesn't work, call support.
If it does work, enter the original part, a box should appear allowing you to add parts that relate. This only works in I/PRO - it doesn't work in DS or DL.

Warranty chargebacks (rejections) usually get posted to policy adjust (GM 6704).
This way you can track how much the dealership 'eats'. Its not a bad idea to seperate policy adjust for warranty from policy adjust for customer pay. (ie 6704 and 6714)

What is ruling sp776?

Dale
jazdale

questions

Postby scotstrong » Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:33 am

Why would the parts department eat all of the warranty chargebacks unless you have very poor control of you warranty parts retention? Each chargeback should be investigated and a determination made as to which department was ultimately responsible; and then bear the burden of the chargeback as a penalty. Or, to promote better teamwork between parts and service, all chargebacks should be a 50/50 split if there is not an unfair lack of effort on one side's part. Are technicians not turning parts in? You might consider not payin the tech for the job until there is documentation of the part being turned in. As far as where to book the chargeback, as stated in the first response, it should go to policy to provide an audit trail,
scotstrong

questions

Postby Richard » Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:53 am

Hmmm, when I went to GMU for the Parts Manager, something stuck about Warranty Rejections, but I have never seen anyone do it. The instructor said that Warranty Rejections SHOULD be charged to 013A, New Vehicle Expense. His reasoning was that the New Car Department was the real winner in this deal, because they had a happy customer, with no out of the pocket expense. I kinda agree with this, but maybe as a compromise, charging COST back to parts, and service, and the lost profit to 013A......
Richard

questions

Postby jazdale » Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:37 am

Richard,

I had to stop and think a bit over the idea of charging new car dept (13a). At first, I bought into it, then I thought otherwise.

1. Its an expense out of new car's control. I think it would create bad blood between the departments.

2. What if the rejected warranty work was done on a vehicle not sold by this store.

3. Posting the unrealized profit as an expense to a different department is just wrong. Its kinda like saying we should have made 2 dollars, but since we only made 1.50, I'll charge you for the .50

4. I'm sure the person posting warr rejects to accounting would love to break down each item by parts, service, and potential profit.

Granted, there are some grey areas, but 95% of the time I think there are definitive reasons for each and every reject. If we took the time to analyze each reject from beginning to end - we could probably show a responsible party what they're doing wrong.

Rob - you out there, looking for your 2 cents.
jazdale

questions

Postby fburrows » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:01 pm

Jazdale:
I agree! There is no one size fits all solution to warranty charge backs. Each one need to be looked at by a manager and charged back to the responsible department like any other expense. In my experience parts has very little exposure in warranty charge backs other than failing to return a part called for by the manufacturer assuming that the dealer has assigned that responsibility to parts.

------------------
Frank Burrows
Automotive Business Solutions LLC
fburrows@absdata.com

fburrows

questions

Postby turbo59 » Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:41 pm

thanks for the insight,

dale....sp776 is a ruling that chrysler offers on GPOP. it tells you that a part changes into 2 or more parts.

in function i or pro, you can make the multiple parts display...

thanks again for the help on sdl..

turbo59
turbo59

questions

Postby jazdale » Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:41 pm

Turbo and others

SDL can be handy in other uses too

Tune up kits
recall/campaign parts lists
Extended comments about a part
OEM/Aftermarket table
tire charts
tools

Play with it, I'd love to hear of other uses that made a difference.

Dale
jazdale

questions

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:34 am

On the SDL's. We carry an aftermarket line of brake pads and rotors, so we have set up SDL's on the GM number, that way when we quote brakes we look up the GM part number, when we punch them in it brings up both the price on the GM brakes and our aftermarket line. We also use SDL's for campaigns, which also works very well.

Gerry
Gerry Laughlin

Return to Parts Managers