has anyone else had there dial go down yet?

Postby dennis wood » Tue Jun 08, 1999 10:19 pm

we had our dial go down for two weeks.
it is scary how much we all depend on that computer you never realise it until it is down for a while.
there should be some sort of backup system..
dennis wood

Postby JHaynes » Wed Jun 09, 1999 9:38 am

Loads of fun isn't it Dennis. Yes, it does happen. We have lost two hard drives at separate times. I was really concerned at Chryslers lack of 'urgency' each time. I was forced to get on the phone and be less than plesant to get the machine repaired. There is no excuse for your machine to be down for two weeks, that is unbelievable. (Unless your store is out in a remote area). Even at that, I would think you, or your dealer needs to maka a little noise.

Good Luck
Jim
Fresno Dodge
JHaynes

Postby dennis wood » Wed Jun 09, 1999 11:01 pm

believe me jim both myself and my dealer made alot of noise to both chrysler and ibm about the whole situation.
we ended up having to do an auto load which is basically starting all over clean.
chrysler was very reluctant to send us the software needed to do this that was why we were down so long.
i hope no one else has to go through what we did.

dennis wood

Postby jake schultz » Thu Jun 10, 1999 10:26 pm

dennis, i feel your pain! we had one of our hard drives fail.dail came out to repair.after 5 hours they found out we had two drives bad.next day they got approval to replace all the drives.dial doesnt have the authority to just replace all drives at once which im sure is the same problem you ran in to.it seems to be very time consuming to replace one drive load everything then find out you have another bad drive then start all over agian.then of course we also had the 15 hour reload.to make matters worse we faxed our orders into dallas two seperate days and were told they would process them and assured us we would have our parts the next day as usuall,except both days they forgot to enter them.im sure my experience wasn't as bad as yours but it makes you wonder how something as important to your everyday operation as dial that they cant swap machines for you to keep you up and running.
jake schultz

Postby Chuck Hartle » Sat Jun 12, 1999 1:21 pm

Hi Folks,

Sorry you had the Dial CIS server problems. I am going to give you a tip here and I hope I don't get in trouble for this.

If you have access to the internet and your server goes down, you still can order your parts via GPOP....

1. go to "intranet.chrysler.com"
2. click on the "finance" button
3. go to "3270 session"
4. click on "enhanced 3270" button
5. It will download a small patch program
and start GPOP for you.
6. Enter your dealer code and password and you are ready to order your parts, no matter what. If your satellite is down, your hub is down, or your server has crashed, you can still order the parts.

What a crime you had to fax your orders into Dallas....

I hear Chrysler is starting to upgrade the existing system again? Anyone had the new server installed yet?

Chuck Hartle'
Chuck Hartle

Return to Parts Managers