gas purchase orders

gas purchase orders

Postby jake schultz » Thu Jun 03, 1999 11:36 pm

looking for different ways on how others control employee theft of gas when drivers are getting fuel purchase orders to fill their delivery trucks.we have eight delivery trucks and feel we need a better safegaurd.

thanks
jake schultz

gas purchase orders

Postby Mike Davis » Fri Jun 04, 1999 9:46 am

Jake:

Our gas vendor provided us cards that the drivers use to activate the pump. Each employee is assigned their own card and pin number to use for gas purchases. The cards are only good at one location and all purchases are broke out on the statement by employee. This has worked real good for us as you can keep an eye on individuals and question it if it gets high on expense. The single location works well also as our management team has a good relationship with the employees there and they help keep an eye on the pumps.

------------------
Mike
Mike Davis

gas purchase orders

Postby Chuck Hartle » Fri Jun 04, 1999 10:43 am

We had a single gas station as well. We supplied the gas station with the licence plate numbers of the parts delivery vehicles that were authorized to charge the gas and it was required on each invoice for payment. This really helped to control our expense with 9 vehicles.
Chuck Hartle

gas purchase orders

Postby Bob Novak » Fri Jun 04, 1999 8:01 pm

Jake,

We use 1 po book dedicated to Gas only.
Only Me, my Asst PM or serv mgr are authorized signatures. The Gas station has a letter that states we will only pay if one of these three people sign a po.

The driver must fill out the po and put his truck number and mileage on it or it won't be signed by me or my Asst. PM. So now you have mileage in order, by truck, to view daily. My secretary will reconsile the bills with the invoice at the end of the month and so far it works perfect.

I hope this helps......Bob Novak
Bob Novak

gas purchase orders

Postby RMARTIN » Fri Jun 04, 1999 11:27 pm

Company vehicle gas use always seems like a complicate issue as it can get out of control in a hurry! I would suggest you contact Wright Express in Portland, ME. They can supply you with gas cards which will allow your drivers to obtain gas (and, if needed oil and other services) at most all gas stations and convenience marts. This is especially nice if your trucks cover a large area. They will assign each vehicle a card and each driver a P.I.N. so that you can track how much gas a driver is using regardless of which truck he/she drives. You will be supplied with a detailed report showing gas purchases by vehicle/driver/location/mileage. My commercial customers tell me it is an excellent tool for controlling costs as well as maintaining their vehicles. I believe they may be reached at (800) 492-0669 but don't quote me.
RMARTIN

gas purchase orders

Postby John Buehrle » Thu Jul 08, 1999 6:37 pm

I know I am getting in on this really late, but, since I am new hear you'll have to get over it! Anyway, we use a "voucher" system at our dealership that works really well. It has to be handed out by the Parts Manager, PERIOD. It must also be filled out, LIC#, gallons used, etc. Each voucher is numbered and logged. If someone actually fills their car up with it, it would'nt take long to catch them since that particular vehicle would be filled up again sooner than usual.
John Buehrle

Return to Parts Managers