english

english

Postby turbo59 » Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:47 pm

hello everyone,

we are using adp, what is the english statement to get the coumtermen totals before the job stack?

thanks in advance

turbo59
turbo59

english

Postby jazdale » Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:47 am

Turbo,

The file is PARTS-SALES

Function PRD (Productivity) must run to get the latest figures for the RBE (Report by Employee) report.
PRD is not a report - just a calculation.
There is no harm in running PRD as often as you wish.

You could set up an earlier jobstack for just the PRD/RBE report.

Is this what you're looking for?

Dale
jazdale

english

Postby turbo59 » Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:01 pm

hello dale,

here is the statement i am using, but it adp doesn't reconize the work profit...

?sort parts with closed by emp# break-on emp#
total e-sale total e-cost total profit lptr

also is there a way i can get a book called "english for parts managers" ?

i took the invoice and inventory class in early dec, the instructor mentioned the book above....

turbo59
turbo59

english

Postby jazdale » Wed Dec 25, 2002 1:27 am

Turbo,

Is that profit% or profit dollars you're looking for?

2 ways to handle this.

1. Copy/paste into Excel, then build the formula.
RPX does a great job of parsing the data into columns. Of course this requires Version 7 or better of Reflections and Excel (not MS Works) on your PC and an understanding of Excel.

2. We may need to build a dictionary item in the English files.

Building English statements is an art that requires some time and patience to get the syntax correct. I'm sure there is a book, the one I use(d) dates back to the early 80's.

I'm curious why you don't build RPGs.
Much simpler to build/modify and can be jobstacked and/or downloaded.
When you build an RPG, option V (View) will display the long-hand English statement behind the RPG.

Merry Christmas

Dale
jazdale

english

Postby turbo59 » Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:04 am

thanks dale, your advise is most insightful. rpg is my next class!

have a good holiday season....

turbo59
turbo59

english

Postby jazdale » Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:47 pm

turbo,

couple of quick pointers on RPG.

1. Begin with simple requests.

2. Keep output (setup number 4) to a minimum when experimenting. You can always add more output fields later.

3. Keep sorts (setup number 3) and break-on to a minimum. Too many breaks and subtotals makes a report look too busy.
Just because you selected (2) or sorted by a field (3) doesn't mean it will display unless you also chose to display it in output (4)

4. To view on screen - don't exceed 80 char.
To send to lineprinter - don't exceed 132 char.
Otherwise data will print down and not across.
RPX Excel download is unlimited.

5. When you run a screen report that you don't want to hit enter to get to the end - DON'T HIT BREAK - you'll lose your report and get sent back to the menu. Instead - hit CONTROL X. This will stop the report and keep you in the setups of that report.

6. PART-NO. is probably the best file to play with.

7. YOU CAN'T BREAK ANYTHING IN RPG. Its display only. The worst thing you can do is waste paper.

8. If you save a report a 2nd time and give it a different name - you will have a duplicate report. Great for experimenting without the fear of losing something good.
Don't forget to delete unwanted reports. The list of stored reports gets real big-real fast.

Couple of exercises to sharpen your skills.
1. find all parts that cost more than $100.00
2. Using same report - find only parts with an on-hand
3. Using that same report - sort them by months no sale
4. Same report - find the total value of these parts in your inventory.

If you can do this, you should be more than half-way towards building any report you desire.

Dale
jazdale

english

Postby Chuck Hartle » Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:53 am

Turbo,

Try using this English statement for the
PARTS file

?SORT PARTS WITH CLOSED AND WITH POSTED1
?EQ "0" AND WITH Q.S. NE "0"
?BY EMP# BREAK-ON EMP# TOTAL E-SALE
?TOTAL E-COST TOTAL PROFIT
?ID-SUPP DET-SUPP (P)

This will give you an accurate total for each parts advisor before the job stack runs and clears out the daily PARTS file. By using the POSTED1 EQ "0", you clear out any "restored" tickets that someone may have restored to look at a previous invoice. When an invoice is restored, it is temporarily put back into the PARTS file for the day and cleared out that night with the job stack. Also, with 'Q.S. NE "0"' you also clear out any unwanted junk so you get just the true sales and credits for the day.

I am curious though, do you have PDA? If you go into PDA and go to the "M" MONTHLY REPORTS; report numbers 15,16,17 are awesome reports that show you the gross sales, gross profit, and credit history for the last 12 months plus your current month-to-date figures are updated each night the job stack is run. These are great, great reports to track your employee sales.

Jaz has some great suggestions for using RPG too, but here are a couple of others that will totally eliminate the need for experimenting with ENG and wasting paper.

1) Have your system administrator go into your UUP account for your individual logon in MAINT and have him/her give you access to "TCL" for your parts account. The prompt in UUP to turn this on is called "TCL Access" and they just need to highlight your -I account and save it to activate it for your logon. Then, at the Function Code, type "TCL" and you will go to a colon ":" prompt on your terminal.

2)Re-Term your current terminal by typing the following function code and prompts;
MENU TRM enter
1 enter
2 enter
8 enter

This will set up terminal up as a ADP120 terminal printer temporarily.

type 'MENU ENG' and you will be brought to the question mark prompt "?"
type in your english statement and at the end of it do not add the (N) or (P) for nopage or lineprinter.

After you hit enter, it will give you a page of your report. You have to hit enter each time you want the next page. To get out of the current report after you have looked at a sample of your english statement, simply hold the CONTROL key and E key to get back to the colon. If you have a PC or a slave printer and you feel you have a good English report, hit the print screen button to capture the statement before hitting "ENTER"

3) To Re-Term your terminal back to it's original setting, type the following;
MENU TRM enter
1 enter
1 enter
4 enter
19 enter

The 4 and the 19 could be different on your system. The 4 (or third prompt will give your the proper terminal type (such as ADP 220; MT502; MT503 terminal type, and the 19 is for NONE for your slave printer setting, this could be 17 or 18 depending on your software release.

Then, simply type MENU and you are back at the FUNCTION CODE prompt. This is, by far, the easiest way to experiment with ENG statements and watch them on the screen without losing paper.

Chuck Hartle'
PartsEdge

Chuck Hartle

Return to Parts Managers