OBSOLESCENCE

OBSOLESCENCE

Postby LUIS MORENO » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:31 pm

I AM GOING TO BE A PARTS MANAGER OF A HONDA DEALERSHIP. THAT CURRENTLY HAS A PRETTY BIG OBSOLESCENCE PROBLEM.I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS THAT I CAN USE? I HAVE A FEW IDEAS BUT MORE WONT HURT! I HAVE A TOYOTA BACKGROUND AND NOT TO FAMILIAR WITH HONDA.AND MY SRA IS LOW AND I DONT JUST WONT TO THROW IT ALL AWAY

[This message has been edited by LUIS MORENO (edited 03-02-2004).]

LUIS MORENO

OBSOLESCENCE

Postby johnny o » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:38 pm

BITE THE BULLET .... RETURN EVERYTHING THATS NOT SELLING.

Do an inventory as soon as possible ... that way you will know whats really there.

Lots of work ahead ... but worthwile when you are done.

johnny o

OBSOLESCENCE

Postby STRAUBMAN » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:13 pm

Hey Luis. There are a few large Honda dealers out there that will buy some of your returnable obsolescence. Usually .50 or.60 on the doller. Hopefully your dealer will be willing to give up a little cash to help in the cleanup. Come up with a total amount of parts over the $5.00 min line value. Locate another manager that is willing to work with you. I would put a game plan together and present it to your dealer. This process may take a few years depending how much junk you have. I started with a 70k inventory of which 45k was over 12 months. It took me 3 years but now I am consistantly below 4%. Once you get it under control it's pretty simple keeping it clean if you follow the obvious rules. My dealer was pretty generous come tax time. Unfortunately some dealers would rather pocket the cash. Some actually understand that it cost more money to keep the junk on the shelf.
STRAUBMAN

OBSOLESCENCE

Postby hondacarl » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:30 am

if you will email or fax a list of the honda parts you would like to get rid of i may be able to help you with unloading them
carly@hondacarsofmesa.com
800-765-1353
fax 480-835-2214

------------------
hondacarl

OBSOLESCENCE

Postby KEVINR » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:49 pm

Luis welcome to the club i have taken over a honda dealer 1 1/2 years ago.they had a very hufe obso. problem here. most of it was in accessories and we all know honda will not let us return them. so i watch the use car lot for all of the hondas that come.my GM is aware of the problem and stands behind me to help.i will sell the part at cost plus 10% or even a little less to the used car dept. service will install the accessory at a lower cost also too help this has helped my inv drop considerably over the year it takes time, my sra has just about doubled over time for returning those items woth 5inches of dust on them. started to order a lot of the sop parts for service on my s/o instead of daileys,service lets me know if cust wont be in for a week or so.any questions email me.
KEVINR

OBSOLESCENCE

Postby DodgeMan » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:36 pm

Before you take over the job make sure you talk over the problem with the owner and ask him what he wants to do with it. Suggest what other people here have said and find another dealer to sell it to for cents on the dollar. And if you can't find a dealer to buy it suggest that he scraps it and writes it off. Just make sure he doesn't expect you to pull out a miracle and return it all to the factory if you don't have any obsolence return allowance!!

[This message has been edited by DodgeMan (edited 03-31-2004).]

DodgeMan

Return to Parts Managers