GM ACCT #

GM ACCT #

Postby DRCROMER » Tue May 20, 2003 12:32 pm

FOR THE GM DEALERS OUT THERE...DO YOU USE 242 OR 244 FOR YOUR BULK OILS AND TRANS FLUID? I HAVE ALWAYS USED 242 FOR BULK TRAN FLUID AND 244 FOR BULK OIL..MY DEALER WANTS IT ALL PUT IN 242...LOOKING TO SEE HOW THE MAJORITY INVENTORY THEIRS..
THANKS
DAN
DRCROMER

GM ACCT #

Postby Richard » Tue May 20, 2003 1:15 pm

We used 242 for parts, 242a for cores, 243 for tires, and 244 for chemicals (Gas, Oils, Grease, Dextron, Antifreeze, ect.... whether bulk or packaged) for years. The new office manager didn't like it, so everything got lumped into 242, except tires, which stayed in 243 since the used car manager was using that account for his tires, they won't let me use it for my tires now. I would love to go back to having everything where it belongs, but that isn't going to happen.

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 05-20-2003).]

Richard

GM ACCT #

Postby jazdale » Tue May 20, 2003 2:55 pm

In my travels, most dealers broke out 242 from 244. On rare occasion, I would see oil and parts in the same inventory account.

Seems to me that the way we control bulk fluids is much different than the way we control parts. (not everyone has the meter)

With the ability to use source accounting, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to break them out.
If, during a physical inventory reconciliation you find a discrepency, at least you would know where to begin looking.
jazdale

GM ACCT #

Postby tjsmith » Wed May 21, 2003 9:30 am

I agree jazdale. When I started here everything was all in 242, but when it came inventory time we came up short, & there was no way to tell what was cores, oil, fluids etc....so I fixed that problem, with 242,244,242b etc... Now you can tell what is what & it is a lot easier to tell were problem areas are. I can't imagine everything being dumped in 242 again. I can only see that causing a whole bunch of problems in the long run...especially if you come up short or over. Oh yeah that's right...What's easier for the office manager, & what's more difficult for the parts manager=OK...I tend forget sometimes that it seems like we are the "Red Headed Step Child" of the dealership..most of the time

Good Luck
tjsmith

GM ACCT #

Postby JEDCHEV » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:42 pm

Hi,

You may also keep in mind, at GM stores, that 242 is slpit 50/50 with parts/service on customer pay RO's,243 and 244 is not.
JEDCHEV

GM ACCT #

Postby jazdale » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:49 pm

You may also keep in mind, at GM stores, that 242 is slpit 50/50 with parts/service on customer pay RO's,243 and 244 is not.

Huh?

The sale/cost accounts may use a percentage transfer, but the inventory accounts?

Please explain, maybe I'm missing something.

jazdale

GM ACCT #

Postby JEDCHEV » Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:51 pm

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear at all.

When anything in 242 is charged out on a customer pay RO, the sales acct will either be 467, or 468. GM accounting is such that the profit is split 50/50 with the service dept.

When charging out anything that you have in 244 (oil, atf),sales acct 491, or 243 (tires), sales acct 490, all the profit remains in the parts dept. regardless of what type of RO it is.

JEDCHEV

GM ACCT #

Postby vaxley » Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:52 pm

For bulk oil and ATF(something you can't put on a shelf) we use 244 - oil account-that's what it was intended for - and at the end of the month, office mgr takes cost of GOG on ro's and what we count in inventory and use this as cost of oil for profit on statement. 242 is for parts you can physically control-and can put on a shelf and lock up at night - oil is too much of a non-controlable item that if put in 242, you'll loose at inventory time.
vaxley

GM ACCT #

Postby jazdale » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:16 pm

I see,
thanks for the clarification
jazdale

GM ACCT #

Postby Ronc925 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:15 pm

I agree with Jazdale and tjsmith. You can not control or account for things lumped into 244-bulk.

I would put everything bulk in similar sources in 242.
Ronc925

Next

Return to Parts Managers