Bar Code Scanners

Bar Code Scanners

Postby abmaxi1 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:16 am

Looking for some feedback on bar code scanners for parts department.
Is anyone using and if so is it worth the time savings and keypunch errors.
R&R is pushing thier SmartScan.We are on the R&R.
Thanks
abmaxi1

Bar Code Scanners

Postby ROBBIE » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:37 pm

We tried to use Reynolds but we switched to ABS. It saves a huge amount of time checking in orders especially special orders and bin checks. It is much easier to use then Reynolds and it actually talks to the stock clerk. Other dealers in the area have had the same experience. Most of the dealers around here are using ABS.

Robbie
ROBBIE

Bar Code Scanners

Postby NEILH » Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:52 pm

Robbie; how do i connect up with the company that supplies the ABS system?
NEILH

Bar Code Scanners

Postby ROBBIE » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:28 am

ABS has a website at www.absdata.com
You can call them at 888-425-4509
We have used it for a year. You can call me at 301-899-6990

Robbie
Ourisman Chev
ROBBIE

Bar Code Scanners

Postby eric the red » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:55 pm

Robbie--What is the approximate cost?
eric the red

Bar Code Scanners

Postby Shawn Sharp » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:10 pm

We use UCS bar code scanners. They are way to expensive and outdated. They do work great for checking in stock. You might look at Gigabytes. They have an awesome product that is really reasonable. Once my contract is up then I am switching.

Best Regards
Shawn Sharp
Shawn Sharp

Bar Code Scanners

Postby SScan » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:44 am

I must retract my posts.

[This message has been edited by SScan (edited 07-18-2005).]

SScan

Bar Code Scanners

Postby fburrows » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:23 pm

I will try and make this informational as opposed to a plug for our product. Lot of parts managers are discovering that bar coding can increase production and accuracy and save them money. As most of you know, Reynolds, ADP and UCS all offer an optional bar code product for parts. ABS and Gigabytes also offer bar code systems that work with all the major vendors. There are large differences, in not only how well they work, but also in price, features and support.

You need to do your homework and find out which of the available systems is affordable for you and will work well in your parts department. Each vendor should supply you with a list of references for your particular line of parts. You need to call some of these references. These are some other questions you need to ask:

How is the hardware and software support?

Are additional ports required and what is the cost?

If someone drops a scan gun and breaks it how much will it cost?

Can the system be customized for your department or will you have to change things like your bin numbering system or long number vs short number?

If you are Ford or GM is the system able to convert Motorcraft and Delco and is it included in the price?

Does it include the features that are important to you?

Frank Burrows
ABS BarCode www.absdata.com
fburrows

Bar Code Scanners

Postby Matt Parsons » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:49 am

You can also go to www.scanitparts.com. This company offers a solution that works with R+R, ADP, and EDS. It can be bought directly from the supplier or via GM Dealer equipment.

Several of our EDS clients are using this product. You can post a question on the EDS Forum if you like and I am sure at a minimum Alaska Sales & Service will respond as I know they have this product and monitor the forum.

P.S., EDS has no affiliation with this offering except that it integrates to our product and we think it is a solid offering.

Thus, this is not a sales pitch as we get nothing from a dealer if they buy this product.
Matt Parsons

Bar Code Scanners

Postby Bob champagne » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:31 am

Robbie
Neil
Eric and Shawn
Cost is more than Aquisition it is time$$$
saved(labor)
if you want to see a system that integrates compleely go to the Scan it Parts web site mentioned in this discussion and take a tour
All features are ully automatic including answer back posting and invoice reconciliation.

Bob Champagne
GMDE
877-823-3142
Bob champagne

Return to Parts Managers