Counterman Productivity

Counterman Productivity

Postby GJS » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:35 am

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with my employees taking sales from each other. We are all paid a commission on the total dept profit. I did setup a bonus for achieving a certain sales level, to help reward those with outstanding performance.

We have it setup that whoever looks up the part# and quotes a price gets credit for the sale. We do this because:
- This is to promote looking up the right part the first time,
- because looking up the part is the hard part, not pulling it from the shelf
- to promote quick service to the customer / technicians

However the counterman find it hard to honor this system. They are constantly complaining to me that he or she "stole" the sale or "she stole more from me than I stole from her".

How are other centers handling this?

Frustrated. GJS
GJS

Counterman Productivity

Postby turbo59 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:59 pm

hello sir,

you can change there payplans and pay everyone a percent of the dept. gross profit only, stop the bonus plan until everyone learn their lesson. that will help solve some of your troubles. also you may look at changing personnel. hire the quality of the person instead of the experience. a person of principal will always be honest in his/her deeds and actions.

i look for quality instead of experience...my job is too teach them the parts business...smile.

turbo59

[This message has been edited by turbo59 (edited 12-02-2003).]

turbo59

Counterman Productivity

Postby KOLBY911 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:18 pm

Bonus the Department as a whole.
Eg: Counter gets 5%
Ship/Rec gets 2%
Driver gets 1% and so on...

If someone is dragging thier #$@s, the staff will usually sort them out in thier own way.

Makes a better team environment. Also, consider spiffing your Sales and Service Dept's for up selling Accesories etc. Might be a little slow to start, but pay out CASH $$$ during a meeting. Everyone will get the message. I also use events as spiffs. Suite at a Hockey Game and so on...
Good luck.

Brent
KOLBY911

Counterman Productivity

Postby KOLBY911 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:20 pm

PS Please give me your feedback on my posting from today.

Thanks

Brent
KOLBY911

Counterman Productivity

Postby mack » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:24 pm

TAKE A LOOK AT THE DEALERS EDGE PARTS MANAGERS POST ON "COUNTERMEN PAY PLANS" DATED 02/24/02.
MY LENTHY REPLY MAY ALSO APPLY TO YOU IN THIS SITUATION. GOOD LUCK!
SINCERELY,
MACK
mack

Return to Parts Managers