Salary +

Salary +

Postby GaryE » Mon Apr 16, 2001 11:30 pm

I want to hire a counterman with 2-3 years dealership experience. My boss says OK- how much are you going to pay him/her? Are there any guidelines for a dollar amount we should pay experience help?
We are a small growing dealership with parts sales of 115K to 130K per month. Our new cars sales have soared in the last year (100% increase )Beside me, the manager, I have only one other counterman.
GaryE

Salary +

Postby Chuck Hartle » Tue Apr 17, 2001 12:27 pm

GaryE

WD&S has a booklet on pay plans that may help you answer your question. The best pay plan I used was the following:

50% of Pay a Base
50% of Pay on Parts Gross Profit less any purchase discounts earned.

Your goal, of course, is that the counter person will increase sales to pay for themselves. A good counter person should be able to generate between 75-125K worth of gross sales and approximately $25 to $35K worth of gross profit depending on where they are selling. These figures also depend, of course, on the market you are in and the ability to increase sales by this amount.

You can call (800) 321-5312 for more info on the Pay Plan book which has many different pay plans to choose from that may better suit your needs.

Chuck Hartle'
Chuck Hartle

Return to Parts Managers