ADP and part # changes (memos)

Postby Chuck Hartle » Sat Dec 28, 2002 11:13 am

Vernon,

We choose to disagree with each other on this issue, for sure. I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly of suppersessions. I thought that our manufacturer changed numbers just to get back at the dealers. However, it has been pointed out to me on several different occations by high ranking parts people with several different manufacturers that "We are not that smart and we are far too busy trying to keep up with our suppliers and we have several different departments all trying to work with one another to control our part number population."

I have also seen where a manufacturer dropped the price of a product dramatically and changed the price symbol of the part to eliminate any return allowance or discount on the part because the major component was failing and they needed to fix the problem in mass. Ironically, today we call this a campaign part issue. Back in the early 90's I incorrectly called it a "coverup" and suffered severly for my comments.

Case and point; there are a lot of reasons for part number changes and it is just a fact of doing business in the franchise car dealership arena. One thing we do with our stores that allow consistent returns monthly or quarterly; we go after the RBH (for ERA) and DELAY (for ADP) parts on the shelf before we go for the oldest idle capital when building a return in 2182 or MSR. This way the we get rid of any replacement part as soon as possible before it becomes non-returnable and obsolete.

Thanks Vernon,

Chuck Hartle'
Chuck Hartle

Postby Jaybee » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:11 pm

Chuck's reply leaves me with a question. I am a Honda dealer using Reynolds. Does anyone have any tricks for returns? I do move some parts to a different source that I want to return ie: non-current acccesories.Then I run a 2302 report and try to return all parts in that source. I do use 2182. I guess what I am really looking for is a way to find out what I really need to return while I can. Any help out there? Thanks!!!!! John
Jaybee

Postby petepuma01 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:00 am

Jaybee

Could explain in more detail why using the 2081 Return Creation program does not work for you? How does it not suggest the parts you want?

Also, you may want to start a new topic on this.
petepuma01

Postby Jaybee » Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:49 am

petepuma01, Yes, you're right.I'll start a new thread and try to explain my query a little more. Thanks John
Jaybee

Previous

Return to Parts Managers