Parts Desiegn

Parts Desiegn

Postby Mike Cummings » Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:35 am

Does anyone have any formula's regarding square footage for the Parts Dept.? We're a German carline constructing a Marketplace Building. Sales of approx. $200K, wholesale 20-25%, little obsolesence, current 7 tech bays, new 15 tech bays. Current plans for off-site wholesale warehouse for 3 Carlines, including ours. New building will have Service Advisors on ground floor and tech's on the basement floor. Parts will be located on the first floor(Retail) and basement(Mechanical). Thank You
Mike Cummings

Parts Desiegn

Postby eric the red » Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:24 am

Considering the investment, I would think that outside, professional advice would put you in a position to not only be able to do business today, but consider future needs as well. Auto dealers are not architechts.
eric the red

Parts Desiegn

Postby greg01 » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:54 pm

Try telling that to a dealer owner. We are also going through a "Market Place" rennovation right now. I am losing space all over the place, not gaining any at all! I lost half of my upstairs bulk storage, and the parts managers office was taken as showroom space, and moved into former parts storage space. It is totally lousy planning. I wish I had some kind of ammunition on how much space I should have for my inventory dollars. We sell almost 200k a month (cost) parts and 60% is wholesale. I just dont have the space to store big parts anymore.

Any dealers in the Connecticut area looking for an experianced, award winning parts manager? Ample parts dept space and an open mind toward the parts dept a must.

greg01

Parts Desiegn

Postby Gary J. Naples » Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:02 pm

I understand the concern. Insufficient parts department square footage can seriously impare the departments ability to function efficiently. The effects are felt throughout the entire dealership and will undermine customer staisfaction and profitability. I developed a proven method and process to determine parts square footage needs relative to inventory size. Anyone interested in discussing this further can contact me via e-mail or at (570) 824-1528.

Gary J Naples
FREELANCE ASSOCIATES, INC.

[This message has been edited by Gary J. Naples (edited 10-31-2002).]

Gary J. Naples

Return to Parts Managers