ADP and VISA

ADP and VISA

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:16 am

We are seeing more and more wholesale accounts using VISA cards instead of checks and charge accounts. With ADP this seems to cause problems trying to track customer purchases and even bill the parts. Right now if an account that we do business with wants to pay with a Visa card we have to bill it out as a regular sale to our VISA customer number so it hits as a recievable, then change all the sales amounts to reflect a wholesale sale and then change taxability. Later if the customer wants to return the part, I have no record of it under his accounts, it is recorded under the visa account number. How are you guys getting around this?

Thanks,
Gerry
Gerry Laughlin

ADP and VISA

Postby scotstrong » Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:40 am

Gerry:

Probably the simplest method would be to set these customers up as open accounts with their own control number, and then simply have the accounting office receipt the VISA card payment as a payment against their open account control number. The account number should wash to a zero balance if payment is for each invoice. This allows you to still track purchases, returns, sales history, etc. by the customer's specific control number. Hope this helps.

Scot Strong
scotstrong

ADP and VISA

Postby CroweChizek » Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:33 am

Does ADP have a cashiering function similar to ROs that allows different payment types to be applied? Or can a customer number be coded to debit the credit card receivable account rather than the cash clearing account. Also I noticed an earlier discussion on wholesales discounts, accepting a credit card is an additional expense of 1% to 3% or higher if they use American Express. Has anyone had wholesale customers that pay their monthly balances by credit card?
CroweChizek

ADP and VISA

Postby eweirick » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:05 pm

Gerry,

Open an invoice quote using your VISA customer number and note the SALE TYPE in the upper right hand area of the screen then F4 it. This sale-type is what drives the invoice to receivables. You have two options on how to handle these customers.

1)If the customer always uses VISA go to OCUS and change their sale-type to the one noted above.

2)If the customer normally pays by cash but occasionally pays by VISA leave their sale-type alone and just change it on the fly when needed. This can be done as follows; once the invoice is ready to print up-arrow into the header of the invoice. Arrow over to SALE TYPE and type in the sale type noted above and print it.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Ed Weirick

eweirick

ADP and VISA

Postby jazdale » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:39 pm

Crow and Ew have the right idea.
If the customer is going to permanently become a visa customer, then change their sale-type - but preserve their price and tax code.

If your customers flip back and forth, the best way is to turn on the cashiering option, and change the debit at time of closing.
jazdale

ADP and VISA

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:01 am

ew,
I have always done it the second way, but it changes pricing and the customer name and number, which is what I am trying to get away from.
Dale, we have tried to turn on cashiering before and I seem to recall there was something about the cashier having to jump back and forth between cashiering on the parts logon and cashiering on the service logon. I really cannot recall all the problems we had with cashiering but I know their were a few. Perhaps we will turn it on again so I can recall them. I wish cashiering worked for parts the same way it seems to for service, where it does not tie into sale type and is just a method of payment.

Gerry
Gerry Laughlin

ADP and VISA

Postby imacdude » Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:49 am

We continue to setup our wholesale accounts with unique customer numbers, that way you can give them unique payment types, and sale prices. It is also easier to run reports on them. You can monitor their purchases through PDA. You can't run YTD reports on the cash customers, however, only the ARs.
imacdude

ADP and VISA

Postby eweirick » Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:05 am

Gerry,

Changing the sale-type while in invoicing shouldnt change the customer number or any of their account information (name, customer number, price code, etc.). I cant think of why it would and it sure doesnt do it here. When we change the sale-type the customer number, name, pricing, and taxability all remain unchanged. Might be time to call ADPs support line. Its got to be some obscure little setup prompt thats causing this.

The only difference between this method and turning on the cashiering function is that with the cashiering function you can change the sale-type AFTER you have printed the invoice, and you can do splits. We elected to not turn on cashiering because we generate between 120 and 180 invoices a day and didnt want to have to close all of them manually in cashiering.

------------------
Ed Weirick

eweirick

ADP and VISA

Postby jazdale » Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:19 am

Gerry

Something doesn't sound right in the way your cashier was cashiering. Was he/she going back into the invoice and changing the sale-type which is in the upper right corner of the invoice screen?

When you turn on cashiering, the service function CAS can prompt for service or parts invoices (service logon, function UOP, prompt 65). The only thing the cashier can change is the debit, not the pricing of the counter ticket.

EW,
When you set up cashiering, you can define which sale-types must be cashiered, and which are optional. Use this to your advantage and only require cashiering for the cash tickets. I'm guessing of the 150 a day you do, only 30 fall into this type of can-go-this-way-or-that-way form of payment.

IMAC

Great news for upcoming software.
1st of next year, we're releasing AE 7.0 which will allow you to add parts customers on the fly in function I. This will allow you to search out the service customers and apply a cash sale-type to their number. Then you can track purchases of parts on cash-only customers.
jazdale

ADP and VISA

Postby eweirick » Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:24 am

jazdale,

Guess I should spend a little more time in the support channel CD. After reading your post I popped into it and also discovered that CA is not only available from your parts logon (I thought you had to go to the service logon to use it) but also from the command line in function I. That ease of access along with the ability to set sale type exceptions just might change my mind about the use of cashiering. I do have one question for you. How does cashiering work with sale types you set as optional?

Thats some good news about AE 7.0 allowing you to add parts customers on the fly in function I. I just emailed my sales rep and asked him to make sure we are on the top of the list for this release.

------------------
Ed Weirick

eweirick

Next

Return to Parts Managers