pay

pay

Postby Toyotaman » Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:17 pm

Would like to know what the average salary for a parts manager is? I am in the New York Region @ a pretty large Toyota dealer. My yearly sales are in the range of 4 1/2 million range. I have 10 employees. Would like to see what you guys out there think I should be payed. After I get some answers I will post what I made last year.

Well Thanks in advance

Ok here is my answer, I am making in the mid 50's range. I do feel its a little low right now. My department makes around 60,000 in net profit each and every month. I have lowered my overhead and increased the gross since taking over. Well thanks for all your help

[This message has been edited by Toyotaman (edited 07-15-2002).]

Toyotaman

pay

Postby greg01 » Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:49 am

Large VW dealer, approx 2.5 mil a year, 70% wholesale. Not to far from you (within 100 miles) 40k plus 10% of net. Works out to mid 60's to low 70's.

I feel this is slightly low, but doesnt everybody?

3 Countermen are all well paid also, most making 50k after commissions/bonuses. 2 sell 700k+ year, one sells 1 mil. All 3 have been doing this line (V.W.) for atleast 10 years each.

greg01

pay

Postby rerhafdar » Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:58 am

12 carlines - 11 million a year in sales - 38 employees. mid 50's salary and commission. anyone want my job? or better yet, anyone need me?
rerhafdar

pay

Postby Nick W. » Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:31 pm

I think greg01 is in the right range, maybe even in the top 25% (and no you shouldn't double the numbers because you have higher sales). We have six locations in the northeast and the range for PMs is from the high 40s to mid 70s. What determines that range? A number of factors:

- tenure with the company; if a new hire, stability of past employment. If we take a chance on someone who's bounced around a lot, we would expect to pay less than we would to someone who's spent the bulk of their career at one store.

- experience level as a PM. A fairly new PM who has been promoted should not expect the same pay structure as someone with 10+ years of successful experience in the position.

- size of the operation. Ours range from $2 million to $6 million. It's a factor, but not the dominant one. Size means you can afford to pay more for better talent. It doesn't automatically mean that whomever you put in charge of a big operation is thus talented enough to be worthy of a bigger paycheck. Again, if a less experienced person is entrusted with running a large parts department, he/she should not necessarily worry if their paycheck is not commensurate with others running the same size operation. You got an opportunity, not an entitlement. If you're working for a good organization, and you do a good job, the money will follow the performance.

- store location. A store right in close to the city might justify higher pay than one upstate.

- strength of management skills. Obviously tougher to quantify and to some extent beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but a manager who is strong enough to supervise their own staff effectively, hire and recruit new personnel when needed, has low turnover because he/she keeps people happy in their work environment, is helpful and creative in problem solving with other departments -- all of those things would factor into higher pay. If on the other hand you have a PM who constantly needs help from a GM or P&S Director to do some of those things, that would suggest a lower range in pay package.

Hope that is helpful.
Nick W.

pay

Postby Robert a Bamert jr » Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:15 am

ALL good answers I just came across a web site with free info called www.salary.com search under Inventory Control Manager.It shows you under your Zip code what salaries are the high mid low for the area. Looked like a good report to me and it's FREE
Robert a Bamert jr

pay

Postby tommy-turtle » Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:16 am

What are some of you paying your top Counter guys? Are you paying them plus a bonus program? My top guy is making 33K and bring the dealer in around 650K a year.
tommy-turtle

pay

Postby greg01 » Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:15 pm

My top guy has made 32k year to date as of last fridays paycheck. This factors to 55k a year. His current rolling 12 month sales are 1,016,000. (This is probably the high end of the pay scale, but he also has 6 years of parts manager experiance, and does way more for the dept besides selling a million a year. He could step in tommorow as PM without a minutes training)

greg01

Return to Parts Managers