personal erands

personal erands

Postby bigfootlives » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:14 pm

if a tech i asking the guys on the either the front or back parts counter, for personal parts such as where is the best deal on performance exhaust, and will you call around for prices, is it acceptable
to allow the parts person spend time on his personal items or give the tech the phone book and tell him let his fingers do the walking on his time. or find the parts mark them up say 20% and thank for the order.
bigfootlives

personal erands

Postby Old Irish » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:52 pm

I say find the parts and sell 'em at a profit. Your 20% sounds fine....we charge 25% to employees.

Is this a common situation or just occassionally? Does the counterman do this "research" during a slow part of the day after more important stuff is taken care of ?

Cheers
Doug
Old Irish

personal erands

Postby bigfootlives » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:31 pm

usally during the day, but i have 1 tech who really abuses it, i dont want to be rude and make it it policy but most of these guys are like kids, you need to treat them that way what a shame,
if you do for one you do for all where does it stop
bigfootlives

personal erands

Postby scotstrong » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:25 am

We have a policy that empolyee price on parts is for their own and their IMMEDIATE family members' vehicles ONLY. Any others they pay LIST price for. If they do not like that price they are more than welcome to do their own shopping and procurement. You find out really quick which ones are trying to use the parts dept to facilitate their side jobs.

If you have one tech that abuses it, you might want to give the service manager a heads-up also. If they do not already have a policy in place prohibiting or limiting side work, they might want to consider it. The next thing you start having is these guys trying to woo work away from their own service department.

Scot Strong
scotstrong

Return to Parts Managers