Barcode scanners and Reynolds

Postby Oldsmagnet » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:37 pm

I've read some of the archived posts about the ERA barcode scanner and the astronomical pricetag associated with it. There are several independant companies out there making generic "once-size-fits-all" scanners, and one that was recently recommended to me (from a Harley Davidson dealer) was the PSC Falcon PT40
( http://na.psc.com/html/pt40.htm ) says it's a lifesaver for rolling inventory, and I'm inclined to agree with the theory. PSC says they've got no experience with Reynolds, and that the scanner simply outputs an ASCII text file to whatever parameters you preset. Has anyone been able to integrate something similar into Reynolds? Or have any other suggestions on how to make something like that work? Figure at a tenth of the price of the Reynolds scanner, the thing would pay for itself in paper savings within a year

Thoughts?
Oldsmagnet

Postby fburrows » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:29 pm

Oldsmagnet:

I am with a company that supplies bar code systems for Reynolds, ADP, UCS etc. There is no short answer to your question. One big issue with scanning the bar codes on parts vs scanning the bar codes at Walmart is that there are no standards on the bar code for parts. The grocery and mass merchandisers were smart enough to come up with a system a while back called the UPC that standardizes their bar codes. With car parts you need more expensive scanners that are able to read poorly printed bar codes. We were able to get the manufacturer of the PSC PT40 to loan us one. We found that it was unable to read almost half of the parts in several different dealerships. We were interested in this unit for the same reason you are, its attractive pricing. We use a PSC Falcon 320 for our inventory scanning, which is a much better scanner but also costs a lot more.

The second issue is that you need software as well as a scanner to make this stuff work.

If you will email me directly and tell me what manufacturer and what you are trying to accomplish I will try and help you. BarCode scanning is sort of like running a sucessful parts department. It is a lot harder than it looks!!!

------------------
Frank Burrows
fburrows@absdata.com
fburrows

Postby Matt Parsons » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:10 pm

I have worked closely with a number of dealers that use an offering by a third-party provider that integrates to Reynolds, ADP and the EDS systems. Their solution is also sold through GM dealer equipment. Their website is www.scanitparts.com.

I have no affiliation with this business, just impressed with their offering and maybe better, so is every dealer that I have ever visited that uses it.
Matt Parsons

Postby Toyotaguy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:53 pm

hello again, I am on Reynolds here I have been using their scanner now for 3 years. Even knowing the cost is high the intergration of it and support makes it worth it. I calcutated it out on paper and scanning actually saves you money. Figure out how long it takes you to check in your order. I find it that I will take you 50% less time to do the order and paperwork. Remember the scanner is 100% accurate.

I have looked into some aftermaket brands and we as a dealer thought it was easier to get the reynolds. But from my understanding the aftermarket scanners have more flexibility then Reynolds. But they have improved it.

When you use it right you will love it. Any questions you can email me.

good luck
rob
Toyotaguy

Postby AKTOYPM » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:45 pm

Toyotaguy,
Which scanner do you have?
We were required to obtain one when we got off of TDN (for Lexus)
Hated it.
Havent used it since the Dealer Daily reps left.
The one we have requires downloading all orders in a docking station and uploading after use.
It would not let you post a reference number for receipting and nobody from R&R/Dealer Daily had any experience (Knowledge) with it.
AKTOYPM

Postby Toyotaguy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:25 pm

AKTOYPM,

We are currently using the Reynolds and Reynolds Smartscan. We currently use the batch system here as well but love it. What problems were you having?

We load the gun with all PO's in it. When the order is checked in it prints out labels for all special orders and even labels the BO parts when the come in. We were having a very tough time with BO and not getting received in. With the way Toyota is today with packingslips in the cages if the stockman didn't reconize or didn't remember to "tell me" then the part never was received in. Now the report tells all.

To do spot bin checks take 1/3 the time. Our scanner doesn't work with Dealer Daily just the DMS. I scan all of my invoices every day with it that my drivers take out. Saves alot of time over hand writing all tickets.

If you like I could call you about it. Let me know.

Rob
Toyotaguy

Postby buttich » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:46 am

You may want to check out this company: www.dealershipsolutions.com, they work with R&R very well and also have some Harley dealerships, ADP and UCS.

I also have a connections with this company but at NADA I heard great things about them.
buttich

Postby HONDAMASTER » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:44 pm

I HAVE ADP AND THEY OF COURSE WANT ME TO BUY THEIR SYSTEM , I FAVOR THE IPS SYSTEM, ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY PROS OR CONS ON EITHER SYSTEM? MOST OF THE TALK HAS BEEN ON REYNOLDS ANY ADP PEOPLE OUT THERE?
HONDAMASTER

Re: Barcode scanners and Reynolds

Postby Olinelooo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:01 am

When the order is checked in it prints out labels for all special orders and even labels the BO parts when the come in. We were having a very tough time with BO and not getting received in. With the way Toyota is today with packingslips in the cages if the stockman didn't reconize or didn't remember to "tell me" then the part never was received in.???
Last edited by Olinelooo on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Olinelooo

Re: Barcode scanners and Reynolds

Postby reig34 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:13 pm

Not sure if this works with Reynolds but there is Scansolutions http// scansolutions dot com
Sorry, wont let me post a link

Bob
reig34

Next

Return to Parts Managers