GM Parts Catalog and ADP

GM Parts Catalog and ADP

Postby ajg@goldsteinauto.co » Wed May 01, 2002 3:13 pm

We have been informed by ADP that they will no longer support the GM parts catalog system that resides on the ADP box after July. They are pushing (really hard) for us to purchase the Bell and Howell System at considerably more money. Does anyone know of any other GM parts catalog system that could replace our current ADP APC system?
ajg@goldsteinauto.co

GM Parts Catalog and ADP

Postby scotstrong » Wed May 01, 2002 3:27 pm

ajg:
EDS offers a GM parts catalog system. Don't know how their price compares to B & H.
Just make sure that you don't sign any kind of long-term contract (ideally, one-year re-ups). Eventually, GM parts catalogs will be internet-based like some other manufacturers already are. Technology changes so fast that a long-term contract is a waste of money. You might be able to pick up a used B&H system from a Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep dealer who has converted to StarParts (Chrysler's web-based parts catalogs). Then you would only be paying for updates and support.

[This message has been edited by scotstrong (edited 05-01-2002).]

scotstrong

GM Parts Catalog and ADP

Postby kenm » Wed May 01, 2002 3:37 pm

get the EDS parts catalog if possible
I have had both and the EDS is better in many ways in my opinion.
kenm

GM Parts Catalog and ADP

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Wed May 01, 2002 6:15 pm

We use EDS. I looked at both EDS abd B&H, EDS was the better buy,(in my opinion). It performs quite well and was considerably less.
Gerry
Gerry Laughlin

GM Parts Catalog and ADP

Postby partsman x » Thu May 02, 2002 11:45 am

We recently also had to choose between ADP and EDS also. The Bell & Howell system is a little better than the EDS. However ADP provides the absolute worst customer service I have EVER seen in my life. Their prices are so high they should be criminal. We told them that we wanted the best price up front and over the five year lease they were about $40,000 more than EDS. When we told them that we were going with EDS they lowered their price until it was cheaper than EDS. EDS can get you a new system in 2 weeks, ADP has at least a 4 month backorder. The bottom line is that the Bell & howell catalog is better, but it is not worth it having to deal with ADP and their extremely poor customer service. If you do decide to go with Bell & Howell tell them you want it cheaper or you will go with EDS, they will come down.
partsman x

GM Parts Catalog and ADP

Postby Richard » Thu May 02, 2002 11:56 am

EDS is a lot more user-freindly than B+H!
B+H sent me a Demo the other day...I wasn't impressed at all. I've had EDS for over 9 yrs now, since it was PI ver. 1. And I am supposed to get to beta test the Online PI product soon (I think it's still Toyota only so far, correct me if I am wrong, Matt).
The base program is an antique, but it works well, and is pretty much bullet proof.If I were you, I would buy my OWN PC's and just let EDS supply software. I built my own mini-network and currently run 4 work stations off a small (cheap) server. I take the data block off the printer port of one of the PC's each month to run the update on the server, also to save money. Don't buy the whole system......buy the software ONLY.....save a LOT of money!!!
Let's just state it this way, if I were to have to change to a R&R or ADP system, they aren't going to take my PI2 away, it's probably the best product EDS has!

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 05-03-2002).]

Richard

GM Parts Catalog and ADP

Postby sallen1 » Fri May 03, 2002 8:43 am

You'll find the EDS system running on YOUR pc hardware as the most cost effective system. Get the 'reflections' terminal software from ADP so your counter PC terminals can access your DMS.

B&H will tell you that they interface with ADP and there's no 'cutting or pasting' numbers, etc. While some may be true, no interface really works that great and B&H comes with a multi-thousand dollar premium.

scott

ps. the tech support is pretty good when or if you evern need it.
sallen1

GM Parts Catalog and ADP

Postby dmacri » Fri May 03, 2002 10:31 am

A reason to consider BH as a replacement of ADP's APC is the 2-way interface.

2-way interface has 3 primary components

1. View active on-hand without jumping from catalog to parts selling screen. If you're multi-store, view other stores also.

2. View customer pricing on catalog side.

3. Enter RO number and system will get VIN and filter parts.
dmacri

GM Parts Catalog and ADP

Postby JayMRaymond » Fri May 03, 2002 3:36 pm

EDS has a lower price point...that's true. However, here are some items that ARE NOT available in the EDS EPC that ARE available with Bell & Howell's product:

Change only updates:
1982- for cars
1985- for trucks

Goodwrench Exhaust
VCVS Codes (US Only)
GM ACCESSORY PARTS (US Only)
GM GOODWRENCH
NEW & REMAN ENGINES
GM RESTORATION PARTS
ACDelco ALL MAKES
Internet EPC

Advanced Integration to the ADP DMS.
This allows you to pull a VIN from an RO and use it for EPC filtering, etc... Eventually, this year, you'll also be able to complete invoice, quotes, SORs, and add parts to ROs all from the B&H EPC product.

...Yah but does it make me any $$$... Here's a quote from a parts manager with a large operation in Calgary:

We have now had our B&H catalog for about a year, and I am writing to tell you how we have done.

First - the productivity is way up. We see this in our financial statements where sales may be up 15%, gross profit up 15%, but net profit is up 50 to 100%!. What this means is that we are doing more business with the same expense structure, so that all new gross drops straight to the bottom line.

Second - sales opportunities - for example, Walker exhaust is viewed by many as a hard sell, but with your catalog we can print complete system info [including clamp and hanger numbers] for any vehicle. Quoting is easy, and sales come naturally from there. Cross reference systems, and your VIN RPO filtering make the right part quick and easy to find.

Speaking of the right part.... Wholesale returns [wrong for catalog error, or parts person 'confusion'] are down about 70% - no kidding - about 70%. We use your system to fax illustrations to clients about 10 times a day! What happens? Instant agreement on that hard to describe part - and the opportunity to sell related gaskets etc. because the client can see what else he might need.

Faxing illustrations works perfectly - 99% of our wholesale clients have fax machines, and prefer to look at the picture [or listings] in seconds rather than wait part of an hour or more for a wholesale rep to show up.

System maintenance - piece of cake. Try 15 or 20 minutes for a monthly update, including before and after backups. We have had minor hardware issues [who won't?], but they have been resolved overnight, and your staff have walked us through anything out of the ordinary.

Sound like we are happy? Frankly we should be, because we tried the competition head to head, on desks set up beside each other [with smiling reps attached] - everything hooked up live to our system.

I should also note that all of the Calgary and Southern Alberta dealers who participated in our 'catalog open house' have gone with your system. Other stuff is available for less money, but all the experienced managers have opted for a system that will let their staff 'do more'.

JayMRaymond

GM Parts Catalog and ADP

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Fri May 03, 2002 4:10 pm

Frankly, I don't care what system you go with, but just to keep things straight. I am on EDS and:

1: My monthly updates take about 15 minutes.
2: My Catalog system has Dura-stop all makes.
3: Lists all the Goodwrench engines I need.
4: Has the accessories in it.
5: Doesn't have Goodwrench Exhaust, (heck, I thought that program died awhile ago.)
6: Thankfully, does not have restoration parts. Personally I refuse to mess with that program.

The one thing that I wish EDS would fix is the integration to Reflections. If you want to do "one-Key" parts transfers from the catalog to your inventory screen you have to use "Rumba" as your terminal emulation program. EDS didn't supply it, but I was able to write a program that pulls the VIN out of the Rumba screen and puts it right into the Catalog system with one keystroke. So that has not been an issue with us, but may be with other dealers, (if anyone wants a copy just email me.)
Thanks
Gerry

[This message has been edited by Gerry Laughlin (edited 05-03-2002).]

Gerry Laughlin

Return to Parts Managers