stock order

stock order

Postby gene calhoun » Sat Jul 22, 2000 10:17 pm

Question: When will Ford Motor Co. join the rest of the automotive industry in offering daily stock orders, to improve upon their job one, quality care, or from the past, a better idea advertising campaigns and has left a vital part of their business in the dark ages. It seems to me that the parts dept is a burden on the rest of their business for the simple fact they virtually ignore the importance of getting parts to the customer in a timely manner.

gene
gene calhoun

stock order

Postby Chuck Hartle » Sun Jul 23, 2000 10:51 am

Hi Gene,

This is probably going to get me into trouble but what the heck! We dial into over 50 systems daily, weekly, and monthly. We have many GM, Ford, Chrysler, and Import dealerships we work with. And, as you mentioned, Ford has the worst parts availability across the board. General Motors is not far behind, but Ford has taken over as the leader in lack of inventory fill.

Who knows, maybe too many hands in the pot, part number proliferation, or just a lack of having much emphasis on the parts division. I sympathize with your plight Gene, because you can have very little control over the effects of bad inventory fill.

GM and Ford should take a long, hard look at what Chrysler is doing when it comes to inventory control and order fill. For being as big as they are, they are miles (and I mean miles) ahead of GM and Ford. Maybe Daimler-Chrysler took a page out of the Honda or Toyota manuals, but they are way out ahead.

Daily stock orders won't solve your order fill if they don't have the part. We have seen most manufacturers that offer daily stock orders have the same or very little more order fill than the ones who do. Toyota is about the only one that has seen a significant change because they have such a high local depot fill rate.

With model proliferation comes part number proliferation and supplier problems. Ford has grown so large so fast that they cannot keep up with the huge demand put on them. I see this day in and day out with some of the Ford stores we work with. They have this great problem, "how to take care of all the business coming at them!" But without the order fill and support of the inventory system, it becomes their worst nightmare and hours are spent on the phone trying to procure parts to satisfy the tremendous demand.

This is one of those subjects, Gene, that you can only hope that it gets through to the upper level management at Ford and sinks in. After reading some opinions by parts managers on the QC Dealer Ford website and I guarantee you it certainly isn't from lack of opinions being expressed by parts managers in the same boat you are in.

Chuck Hartle'
Chuck Hartle

stock order

Postby Mike Nicholes » Tue Jul 25, 2000 5:09 pm

Gene: According to some of the Ford Parts people, they are currently testing DSO in a number of places. Past that statement there was a definitive "no comment".
Mike Nicholes
Mike Nicholes

Return to Parts Managers