Storage of Moldings

Storage of Moldings

Postby Richard » Tue Jun 19, 2001 1:31 pm

How do most of you store moldings? IE, bodyside moldings, door sealing strips, ect. We have a space problem, and I am looking for new ways to make more of what I have.

Thanks, Richard
Richard

Storage of Moldings

Postby turbo59 » Tue Jun 19, 2001 2:23 pm

hello richard,

i suggest calling w c cannon. they solved our problem when we moved to a new parts warehouse.

turbo59
somewhere in texas!
turbo59

Storage of Moldings

Postby The Backorder Man » Tue Jun 19, 2001 7:07 pm

I have used either mailing tubes or pvc pipe of various diameters to store a variety of mouldings. You can stand them up or lay them down and stack them. I like to give each one a seperate bin location so I can mix and match according to size and not get to hung up on numerical sequence. These are a cheap effective way to go.
The Backorder Man

Storage of Moldings

Postby fburrows » Tue Jun 19, 2001 7:52 pm

To add to the Backorder Mans suggestion one of our customers uses long cardboard cartons. They are probably 4 x 4 x 60. He stacks them about 6 high on top of his regular bins. Looked neat and it is certainly cheap. The PVC is a neat idea also.

------------------
Frank Burrows
Automotive Business Solutions
frank@autobusiness.org
fburrows

Storage of Moldings

Postby jimm » Wed Jun 20, 2001 10:23 pm

richard,
one of the best idea's i have seen, was in a master parts school from chrys. the parts mgr from bald hill dodge uses flat 4'x8'boards that are on hinges and swing out from the wall, imagine paging through the pages of a book. the mouldings get stapled right to the board and don't get damaged. he got the idea while looking for tile flooring and he saw how the put there samples on boards that you page through like a book.
jimm

Storage of Moldings

Postby jimm » Wed Jun 20, 2001 10:23 pm

richard,
one of the best idea's i have seen, was in a master parts school from chrys. the parts mgr from bald hill dodge uses flat 4'x8'boards that are on hinges and swing out from the wall, imagine paging through the pages of a book. the mouldings get stapled right to the board and don't get damaged. he got the idea while looking for tile flooring and he saw how the put there samples on boards that you page through like a book.
jimm

Storage of Moldings

Postby craig » Mon Jun 25, 2001 1:42 pm

If space is a problem and I assume these mouldings are dead stock anyway try this.We cleaned out our 80/90 oil cans, they are 16gal drums. We lined up 10 of them against a wall and labeled them individually 0-9. Take the last digit of the part number and sort them by that. It didn't give us to many bin locations to deal with and you new were to go by the part number an way. It work good for GM, I don't know if it work work good for your product line or not.
craig

Storage of Moldings

Postby partsguy » Mon Jun 25, 2001 3:57 pm

What has worked well for me at several stores is this: buy 4' x 8' sections of concrete reinforcement mesh with 4" openings. Then contact a local box company to buy 12" x 4' sheets scored at 4 and 8 inches. These will slide into the the mesh and then you can staple them together. It is cheap and VERY flexible. The unit can be cut to size, suspended from the ceiling, hung over a stairway, etc. If you want more info on how it works, e-mail me.

Bruce
partseller@aol.com
partsguy

Return to Parts Managers