Tech of the month-dumb idea?

Postby volvopm » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:24 pm

Ok, i had an out of the box idea, one day I noticed a certain tech had really changed his attitude. I made a sign that stated he was the tech with the most improved attitude, he loved it! So I thought about expounding on it. We have half of our techs with great attitudes, so we thought of nominatinga "tech of the month", nominations would be base on the tech with the best attitude, upsells the most parts, I.e- winshield wipers, oil cap seals) amd if you are the "tech of the month" you will get something in return, such as no waiting at the counter, the parts manager will help you immediately, maybe a free lunch, maybe a gift card, overnight orders taken to your stall when the arrive, etc, etc, . What do you guys think? My service manager shot it down immediately stating" this will give those techs that dont win the spiff another thing to bitch about" Bad idea on my part?
volvopm

Postby LIFESENTENCE » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:55 am

The biggest thing you have to guard against, in my experience with this type of program, is that it doesn't become a popularity contest. Make sure your parameters for winning are defined, and the techs know what they are.

------------------
"WHY DO YOU WANT THE MAKE, MODEL, AND YEAR? THEY'RE ALL THE SAME."
LIFESENTENCE

Postby JUSTPARTS » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:05 am

I used a Diner Certificate $50.00 for the one that impressed me the most per month.
Careful to not choose the same person to much.For things like upsell,customer relations,picking up garbage on the lot in the bays(instead of walking over it)General attitude, ect.Be sure to be clear why your giving it out to that person in a group setting.And if no one knows what you may be giving it out for that month They will all be on the best game for they're chance at it.
It worked for us and change morale issues.
People complain about things,so what.Some things will never change,but they can improve.I think your onto something
JUSTPARTS

Return to Parts Managers