GPOP, LOVE or HATE

GPOP, LOVE or HATE

Postby Bob Novak » Sat May 15, 1999 10:14 pm

C'mon you Chrysler guys talk to me.

Isn't this the greatest thing since sliced bread?
Don't you just love getting a paint code on SGTR......Let's go guys sound off.
Bob Novak

GPOP, LOVE or HATE

Postby Chuck Hartle » Mon May 17, 1999 12:08 pm

What is there not to like? GPOP is still in it's infancy too! I like the versatility and the abundant information that we can get from it. It certainly blows away the Rapid 2000 and Ford DOSII DCS systems for Ford and General Motors.

But beware of the Trojan Horse....
Chrysler is developing the GPOP to actually control your inventory. Some speculate that they are going to "guarantee" your inventory if you allow them to control and "suggest" ordering habits.
They can't even get their own inventory under control (fill rates are still way too low) and now they say they want to control your inventory?
I once made a statement when Chrysler originally put the satellite in our dealership for no cost to the dealer that we would pay for it many times over. Thus, the monthly recurring charges have done that.
While I have no complaints with GPOP and the design of the programs and the wonderful information at the touch of several buttons, I do wonder if the Trojan Horse is again outside the dealership doors waiting to impede on unsuspecting dealers? Time will tell.
I ask you a single question? Why would you ever let someone control your inventory that has a vested interest in selling you the parts as well? More on this developing issue in an article soon.

[This message has been edited by Chuck Hartle (edited 05-17-99).]

[This message has been edited by Chuck Hartle (edited 05-17-99).]

Chuck Hartle

GPOP, LOVE or HATE

Postby Mike Davis » Tue May 18, 1999 9:54 am

Hi Bob:

I agree with Chuck. Once you get past the pain of everyone logging into the system and they revised password setup it has been a good system. At least now with pipeline and the other functions you don't have to mess with the expediters constantly and listen to "No firm promise time given by supplier". I think that Chrysler has done a great job with the GPOP and 5300 project as a whole. We had problems with the initial download, took an extra 30 days, but smooth sailing since. I have also heard that Chrysler is considering guaranteed inventories if you let them control what they ship you and generate automatic replenishment. The big problem with this that I see is what can happen when you have the parts manager taking his eyes off of the controls. It is already hard enough maintaining the integrity of the inventory when you are responsible and keep on shelf counts correct by constant monitoring. I can see dealers thinking that this is their opportunity to cut a salary and have a "Head Counterperson" as opposed to a manager if they don't have inventory control and ordering to do. I have seen a similar program at aftermarket stores and it seemed to work well there though so I guess that we need to have an open mind at least long enough to see if and what they propose to do with all of this.

------------------
Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Davis (edited 05-18-99).]

Mike Davis

GPOP, LOVE or HATE

Postby JHaynes » Tue May 25, 1999 9:45 am

Hi Bob,
Overall. GPOP has been a real plus for our operation. It most certainly saves the calls to expediting, and allows us the opportunity to respond immediately when a customer inquires about how long it will take us to receive a special ordered part. It did cost us somewhat however. We were forced to add a port to our ERA system, so we could have a dedicated terminal in the department that remains on the GPOP inquiry screen all day. The (GPOP) system most certainly has some bugs that need to be worked out. We are still loosing daily orders at times. We have been forced to submit our daily orders almost two hours in advance, so we don't encounter the "traffic jam" that dial says is causing the problem.

I agree with Chuck, with respect to the 'big brother' symdrome. I also feel that Chrysler is moving toward controlling our inventories. They obviously feel they can do a better job than we. We also have the Lexus franchise, and our stocking levels and daily replenishment is controlled by Lexus. While, for the most part, they seem to be doing well, I would still wish for total control for myself. It becomes very easy to loose sight of what is going on with the inventory.
JHaynes

GPOP, LOVE or HATE

Postby razmann » Tue May 25, 1999 3:11 pm

GPOP: SOMETHING LURKING AHEAD YEILD WHEN
POSSIBLE DON'T FEEL JUST RIGHT

5300: FORD NEEDS TO JUMP ON THIS WAGON !!

FORD: SPEAKING OF FMC IS ANYONE ELSE IN THE
LEVEL 1 2 3 TRAINING THAT IS GOIN ON ??
THEY WANT TO RE-SET ALL OF YOUR SOURCE
INFO IN 2323 ON (REYNOLDS & RENOLDS)
TALK ABOUT A TROJAN HORSE LOOOOK OUT
BELOW !!!!!!!!!!! ANY REPLYS ??????
razmann

GPOP, LOVE or HATE

Postby razmann » Tue May 25, 1999 3:11 pm

GPOP: SOMETHING LURKING AHEAD YEILD WHEN
POSSIBLE DON'T FEEL JUST RIGHT

5300: FORD NEEDS TO JUMP ON THIS WAGON !!

FORD: SPEAKING OF FMC IS ANYONE ELSE IN THE
LEVEL 1 2 3 TRAINING THAT IS GOIN ON ??
THEY WANT TO RE-SET ALL OF YOUR SOURCE
INFO IN 2323 ON (REYNOLDS & RENOLDS)
TALK ABOUT A TROJAN HORSE LOOOOK OUT
BELOW !!!!!!!!!!! ANY REPLYS ??????
razmann

GPOP, LOVE or HATE

Postby Bob Novak » Tue May 25, 1999 10:31 pm

Regarding the your Trojan Horse Theory.

You guys must admit our dealers have a big chunk of their money invested in parts inventories. Granted there are a lot of PM's who are on top of their game, and could teach Chrysler how to operate their inventories. But here's the catch...I would be willing to say 80+% of all the global, and domestic Chrysler dealerships have PM's who have no clue how to effectively Manage an Inventory of any magnitude. Therefore, I can understand why their is a sense of urgency to form some sort of protection for the Dealer.

Now back to GPOP. Fella's I agree that GPOP has great possibilities, but please answer these simple questions:
1) Why doesn't the Vin's print out complete?
2) Why are we being tortured when a number has been superceded a number of times?
3) Where are some in depth instructions on COMPLETE GPOP functions.
We have training available for every subject ever imagined, why not about GPOP?

Now, these irritations can be solved pretty easily, I imagine. So after almost 18 months, lets get on the stick and fix this stuff.

There, now I feel better..........Bob Novak
Bob Novak

GPOP, LOVE or HATE

Postby hmoore » Tue Jun 08, 1999 9:56 pm

Come on folks let's admit it GPOP is better than anything we have ever had before. Knowledge is power and now we have more knowledge than we had before. Is big bad Chrysler trying to control your inventory using GPOP? Maybe, but if you are doing a good parts selling job you will never have to worry. In our store selling makes GP and GP makes net profit and I'm paid on net profit so GPOP's has been a god send. In my opinion Chrysler has given us a new tool to use in our sales effort and the good, and agressive parts managers will take this tool and run with it. The others will complain that it doesn't do enough and Chrysler is trying to control our business.

Herb Moore
Fayetteville Dodge
hmoore

GPOP, LOVE or HATE

Postby dennis wood » Tue Jun 15, 1999 12:43 am

GPOP IS GETTING BETTER ALL THE TIME.
IT TOOK SOME GETTING USED TOO BUT I THINK IT WAS A GOOD MOVE ON THE PART OF MOPAR.
WE NOW HAVE MORE INFO THEN WE EVER HAD AVAILABLE TO US AS PARTS MANAGERS BEFORE THIS SYSTEM WAS PUT ONLINE..
dennis wood

Return to Parts Managers