Matrixing-OE Sourcing Is Too Broad

Postby Inkman » Tue May 29, 2001 9:03 am

I'm trying to get a small scale matrix system set up. I have Chrysler & Hyundai & my computer system is ADP. My problem is this: we are using source by sales from the OE sourcing system. Their sourcing is so broad I would be matrixing things that shouldn't be matrixed (brake pads, shocks, etc.)and if I skip that source then there will be parts not getting matrixed that should be. Short of printing a counter pad by source and then reviewing them number by number, is there any kind of a fix for this little dilema?
Inkman

Postby Chuck Hartle » Fri Jun 01, 2001 9:43 am

Inkman,

Based on what I can understand, you are using the source by movement program SCS for your Chrysler Parts in one group of sources and the same for another group of sources for Hyundai?

The fix here will take a little bit of effort, but is worth it. First of all, you basically have 4 groups of parts that you want to isolate.
a. Chrysler Parts you want to matrix
b. Chrysler Parts you don't want to matrix
c. Hyundai Parts you want to matrix
d. Hyundai Parts you don't want to matrix

Typically, the parts you don't want to matrix is very small, (100-200 parts numbers).

You need to set up a group of sources for each category above. Nothing says you can't have four "parent" sources based on the criteria above with sources that follow the parent afterward.

Once you build the sources that you don't want to matrix for Chrysler and Hyundai, you can then move these parts into those sources and continue to utilize the source by sales without these parts being affected by the matrix table. Just remember, as you set up the non-matrix sources, don't copy the matrix table to these sources.

It is also important to remember that once you have moved the handful of fast moving parts into these non-matrixed sources, you will have to do very little manipulation to move these parts out again. After all, brake pads don't supersede to mouldings and so forth. Promo parts stay promo parts.

I would suggest that you set up a report to pull fast moving parts out of the standard sources and run them once a month for new fast movers that phase in that you don't catch. You can do this by building the report to look at the class code or promo code for each manufacturer.

Let me know if you have any other questions or feel free to email me at chartle@partsedge.com or call at (800) 825-7562. Good luck....

Chuck Hartle'
Chuck Hartle

Return to Parts Managers