parts sales report on ADP

Postby ajz » Fri Jan 04, 2002 2:09 pm

ADP users, I'm looking for a report or an English statement that will show parts sales and gross profit by source and by month for last year.
Thanks.
ajz

Postby Chuck Hartle » Sun Jan 06, 2002 5:14 pm

ajz,

From Function Code go to ENG;
at the ? prompt, enter the following statement:

? LIST PDA.PARTS BY SO BREAK-ON SO TOTAL <enter>
? T-SALE TOTAL T-COST TOTAL GROSS ID-SUPP
<enter>
? DET-SUPP (P)
<enter>

This will report all parts sales, cost of sales, and gross profit totals based on the number of months you have set up in PDA; Setups; Retention Periods. If you have enough disk space I would highly recommend that you save 365 days. This gives you a full 12 months of sales history in the PDA.PARTS file.

If you want to know your gross profit by month, you would have to go to the PDA.CUST file for this. The dict-items are GJAN;GFEB;GMAR; etc.......

From ENG enter
? LIST PDA.CUST TOTAL GDEC ID-SUPP DET-SUPP
? (P)
<enter>

Unfortunately, the PDA.CUST file does not have the SO (source dict item) to look at monthly gross profit by source.

However, here is one way to narrow it down and look at monthly gross profit by source in the PDA.PARTS file:

Again, from ENG enter:

? LIST PDA.PARTS BY SO BREAK-ON SO TOTAL
<enter>
? T-SALE TOTAL T-COST TOTAL GROSS WITH
<enter>
? T-DATE GE "01DEC01" AND WITH T-DATE LE
<enter>
? "31DEC01" ID-SUPP DET-SUPP (P)
<enter>

This will narrow down the first English Statement above to just sales in December 2001 by source.

One thing to metion about the above English Statements. If you enter PDA.PARTS or PDA.CUST and the statement comes back that PDA.PARTS or PDA.CUST are not valid file names, call your ADP Support Center and have a support person add both PDA.CUST and PDA.PARTS to your "Title Library" file. By default, these files are not added to the library but can easily be done and then you don't have to worry about it anymore. IT IS NOT CUSTOM PROGRAMMING. It is a simple fix for any ADP Internal.

Good Luck and I hope it helps....

Chuck Hartle
PartsEdge
Chuck Hartle

Postby ajz » Mon Jan 07, 2002 11:20 am

Thank you Chuck for your response. Your information has been very helpful.
ajz

Postby Ted@ADP » Fri Jan 11, 2002 7:32 pm

There are some standard reports that came out with PS620 that may help. RGPS, Report Gross Profit by Source gives you several date options and the ability to type in a date range. You could type in 1JAN01-31DEC01.
Another similar report is RGPC, Report Gross Profit by customer. You can narrow the results to a specific customer,or all, and also to a date range. This is great for the "I'm your best customer!" who spent $45.00 in the last year and ground the counter person at the same time!

About the same time the PAR (Parts Averaging Report) came out. That report allows you to type in a group of part numbers to derive an average selling price based on history. It is quite helpful for menu pricing setups.

Ted@ADP

Postby ajz » Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:36 am

Ted, I am familiar with and have used RGPS and RGPC. There are two problems. RGPS only pulls history from the current and previous month(at least on our system). The second problem is that RGPS calculates the gross profit percentage wrong. The system divides the gross profit by the cost. I have called ADP MANY times trying to get this corrected. I have been told that they will look into it but don't think it can be corrected unless enough people complain about it. This illustrates the very poor support ADP supplies it's customers. Ted, I wish you would look into these two problems and post your findings.

Thank you.
ajz

Postby Ted@ADP » Fri Jan 18, 2002 2:13 am

When you say it only pulls this month and last month, do you mean you are choosing TM or LM? Or are you typing in a date range there and it is only pulling two months even though you type for example a 12 month range?

How do you calculate gross profit? I calculate it by dividing gain by cost and multiplying it by 100. Gain is Sale minus cost. That is the way that report calculates it.
Ted@ADP

Postby ajz » Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:42 am

Gross profit percent is calculated by subtracting the cost from the sale and dividing by the sale.

RGPS only pulls two months even if I enter a 12 month range.
ajz

Postby bsloan1001 » Fri Jan 18, 2002 9:37 am

Chuck, I have tried the eng. statement you refer to and my system says pda.part not valid. Do we not a paticular program purchased or is something not set up? if pda refers to archiving i'm pretty sure we got that in our last upgrade. Is there something I have to set up? thanks
bsloan1001

Return to Parts Managers