Sales history posting question

Postby eweirick » Tue Feb 12, 2002 6:30 pm

We are a multiple location operation. We have a remote service and parts only facility about 20 miles NE of our main store and we are building another full dealership about 25 miles SE of our main store. All three locations are for same car line and our nearest competitor with this make is about 50 miles from our operations.

We have a very clean inventory in our main store so on our last monthly factory return we concentrated on excess stock (O.H. > BSL). In reviewing the sales history of the parts in this return I noticed that a significant number of them were driven to this condition by sales to our remote facility. In addition, the majority of these parts have phased in at our remote location removing the demand that drove our main stores excess situation on these parts.

This started me thinking about posting sales to our satellite operations with No History. Its not that big a problem now but I am concerned about our new store coming on line in a few months. We plan to start them off with a top 20 type of inventory and let everything else phase in so they will be living out of our inventory for awhile.

So the question is; do we sell between stores with or without history?

------------------
Ed Weirick

eweirick

Postby Chuck Hartle » Tue Feb 12, 2002 7:00 pm

You have the right answer. I would definitely use the "No History" where you sell to your sister locations. When you sister location makes the sale to the ultimate customer, this will create the true demand.

Only, and only, if you plan to continually replenish these stores out of your inventory would I consider selling and recording the sales from your store to the sister store. If you plan to do this as a warehouse, you need to keep this history for your own store so your stocking levels can take care of the sister stores without penalizing your existing customers.

Great Question and certainly one worth exploring more.....

Chuck Hartle'
Chuck Hartle

Postby eweirick » Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:10 pm

We do not plan on becoming a warehouse for our other stores so, its No History from here on out.

Thanks Chuck. I appreciate your quick response.

------------------
Ed Weirick

eweirick

Return to Parts Managers