Wholesale analysis

Wholesale analysis

Postby Neil » Sat Apr 03, 1999 9:14 am

I am currently working on a wholesale analysis. I am looking for help with the less obvious parts of the equation. For example what percentage of parts returned to the dealer are non-returnable or damaged?
Neil

Wholesale analysis

Postby Chuck Hartle » Sat Apr 03, 1999 12:16 pm

Hi Neil,

What kind of a computer system are you working from? This can make a big difference if you want to pull the history on your returns.
Do you track your damaged returns to the manufacturer? If not, this might be a big one to trace.
Tracking your non-returnable parts will require some work, but it can be done. If you source your non-returnable parts into a separate source that it can be easy from the history file.
Another way to look at your returns and break it down, while not perfect, is to pull a report on all parts that have a year's sale YRSL equal to zero "0" and an onhand quantity of one "1" or more. This means you had a demand for the part but never fulfilled the sale. This typically shows up on the month end management summary under the sales movement catagory as "NEW PARTS NO MOVEMENT".
You would then be able to look at the detail of the part numbers and take out the non-returnable parts by the manufacturer field and give you a real close idea of what your percentage is. Remember to print the MNS field in the report and sort by the MNS first (Months No Sale), then by the part number because "NEW PARTS NO MOVEMENT" or by "YRSL" equal to zero is a twelve month window and by sorting it by MNS first you can get a monthly total of your returns. Let me know if you have any other questions and feel free to call me at (619) 462-2120 if you want more detail.

Chuck Hartle'
Chuck Hartle

Return to Parts Managers