A/C COMPRESSORS

A/C COMPRESSORS

Postby alenpart » Thu Apr 22, 1999 11:11 pm

Any GM dealers have a line on whats going
on with the a/c compressors?1 per order 10 per week. I received an answer back today
" order cancled no stock " They have also shut down the AC WD's. Please let me know
what you have heard.

allenpart
alenpart

A/C COMPRESSORS

Postby sallen1 » Fri Apr 23, 1999 7:57 am

We just had a western regional Cadillac Parts and Service Manager's Club with good representation by GM. The issue of A/C compressors came up and here's the story.

They will be hard/impossible to get for the next few months (good timing...). The reason is two-fold: First, the Delphi spinoff has created a problem in Delphi making GM compressors and Second, the compressors they are making are going to the C/K Truck line before they are available for SPO orders. We use about 25 per month when it gets hot (like last week) and we are down to 3 in stock. GM also pulled back all the WD's stock for the assembly line.

We are asking/begging/pleading for help from our GM parts rep. He says he will try to help and that emergency orders will be filled from the line.

Obviously, a bad A/C compressor on a Cadillac covered under warranty will create rental car expense at $35 per day. Maybe that will get their attention, however, our customers will not like the downtime for something so simple.

Question: Are there any quality aftermarket compressors that we can use?

scott/ west covina, CA
sallen1

A/C COMPRESSORS

Postby MARY SHERICK » Mon Apr 26, 1999 11:11 pm

IF YOU USE AFTERMARKET PARTS IN WARRANTY REPAIR, YOU MUST IDENTIFY THEM AS AFTERMARKET, YOU MUST HAVE THE VEHICLE OWNERS CONSENT, AND GM WILL NOT PROVIDE WARRANTY COVERAGE. THIS IS ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE AN ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT, AN EMERGENCY REPAIR. ALSO, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CHARGE ANY MARKUP ON THE AFTERMARKET PARTS. IT IS A LOSE/LOSE SITUATION. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AFTERMARKET FOR C/P, YOU SHOULD INVESTIGATE SOME OF THE SUPPLIERS YOU USE FOR BODY SHOP A/M PARTS.
MARY SHERICK

A/C COMPRESSORS

Postby alenpart » Fri Apr 30, 1999 11:18 pm

MARY

I was looking for some insight on the shortage. Not the p&p manaul. Thanks for the input scott

alenpart
alenpart

A/C COMPRESSORS

Postby GreggT67 » Mon May 03, 1999 10:45 am

Allen,

Maybe the solution for the moment is to see if you can find any dealers in the north who have the AC compressors in question in stock. Not the greatest solution I admit, but it may help you out for now.
GreggT67

A/C COMPRESSORS

Postby j_oneil » Sat May 08, 1999 8:56 pm

The story we are hearing up north is that a major WD in the country bought up most of the a/c inventory and is sitting on it until hot weather arrives. If that is true shame on GM.
j_oneil

A/C COMPRESSORS

Postby cwalden » Sun May 09, 1999 11:06 pm

any name of the wd with all the compressors
cwalden

A/C COMPRESSORS

Postby GreggT67 » Mon May 10, 1999 11:53 am

Is it just one compressor or the full line of them? I'd be curious to see the part numbers of the tougher ones to find.
GreggT67

A/C COMPRESSORS

Postby MARY SHERICK » Mon May 10, 1999 3:23 pm

NO INFO ON THE PARTICULAR WHOLESALER, BUT YOU MIGHT TRY SOME OF THE SUPPLIERS WHO CATER TO YOUR BODY SHOP. SOME OF THEM ACTUALLY CARRY AC DELCO COMPRESSORS. IT IS WORTH CHECKING INTO. MANY OF THESE PLACES ARE NOT GOUGING, SINCE THEY ARE DEPENDENT ON THE INSURANCE MARKET TO AN EXTENT. IF YOU CAN GET THE CATALOG FROM YOUR BODY SHOP, YOU MAY BE IN BUSINESS. WE STOCK UP BEFORE SPRING EVERY YEAR ANYWAY, SO IT HAS NOT BEEN A PROBLEM FOR OUR STORE.
MARY SHERICK

A/C COMPRESSORS

Postby cwalden » Mon May 10, 1999 10:30 pm

maybe the end is near i just ordered a compressor today but checked with spac first
and was told the availability was there but
the order would backorder but be shipped within 48 hours
cwalden

Return to Parts Managers