Moving dealership, inventory before or after move

Moving dealership, inventory before or after move

Postby LOWAIRD1964 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Hey guys just wanted to here some thoughts on what you thought would be a better time for us to do an inventory. We are going to be moving to another location. Would you suggest an inventory before or after we were to move. Any thought would be great. Thank you
LOWAIRD1964

Re: Moving dealership, inventory before or after move

Postby Ironchild » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:28 pm

I know it would be a lot of work but a before and after would be the best. That way if a part, box, or load goes missing during the move you can be sure you had it prior to the move. A printout of all parts with bin locations as well may come in handy to account for and reorganize parts in the new area similar to the way they were.
Ironchild

Postby partsman103 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:39 pm

LOWAIRD1964 wrote:Hey guys just wanted to here some thoughts on what you thought would be a better time for us to do an inventory. We are going to be moving to another location. Would you suggest an inventory before or after we were to move. Any thought would be great. Thank you

I agree with Ironchild.

We moved in to our new facility August of 2012 and we did an inventory as we boxed up items and re-inventoried as we put up the parts and relocated. It was very helpful that we shut down business on a Thursday for the move and re-opened that Monday at the new location.
partsman103

Postby FixedManager » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:56 am

After.

Why pay for a physical inventory twice? Your counts should be fine as you are doing perpetual inventories regularly. Furthermore I would enlist the services of a professional inventory company to do the move. I have found the cost to be less or equal to doing it in house and I don't have over-tired employees. I also won't pay overtime or have half the staff off when I need them most.

I've used DSI in Odessa Florida with great success if you don't know of the right company.
FixedManager

Postby DMagenheimer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:34 pm

If you're doing an in house inventory then before and after would be the way to go, but if you're paying for an inventory company, I'd stay do it after. This way you can start your new warehouse with a fresh clean start.
DMagenheimer

Postby NissanWill » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:22 am

I would simply pull your numbers now, and get your vareiance with the office, then have an outside company come in afterward to make it right.
New Building, new start. Good luck!
NissanWill

Postby Mike Nicholes » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:13 pm

If you did a physical within the last few months, and if that physical was acceptable (G/L to count) it would not make much sense in doing one before the move, unless management was concerned with the 'completeness' or 'efficiency' of the movement from one store to another. I think it boils down to trust and the past record of accuracy in the physicals. Mike Nicholes
Mike Nicholes

Return to Parts Managers