Variable diagnostic time

Variable diagnostic time

Postby Cindi » Tue Mar 09, 1999 7:55 pm

The letter of the law is exactly how I am handling the situation. I am not the warranty clerk, I am the compliance administrator. AKA: The Warranty Police...
The posting I made about OLH/variable time was to get an overall view on how other dealers are handling the situation in their shops. As for the new 'GM rep', I was being sarcastic (trying to be) since I have been doing this for 11 years, I have gotten accustomed to listening to the hype that centers around a new rep. I just wanted everyone to see exactly what they are doing and to be aware of the situation. If 'he' thought for a minute that I believed him, he was wrong. He promised me some kind of an answer from GM regarding this information, I still haven't heard from him. I'm not holding my breath either. I'm only hoping that June will bring him in a good mood since that will be the target date for the reps to get their act together with their dealers. Our patricular new rep is a 'by the book guy' and he has made that well-known. Sometimes that good and sometimes not. Especially when cust assist is breathing down your neck. My advice is to watch out. 40% is the target number for warranty expense reduction and the reps paycheck depends on it. What do you think he's going to do?
Cindi

Variable diagnostic time

Postby MARY SHERICK » Tue Mar 09, 1999 9:46 pm

CINDI IS RIGHT IN THE EXPENSE REDUCTION RUMORS, BUT THE OTHER FIGURE THEY ARE BONUS PAID ON IS THE CSI SCORE. YOU WILL FIND THAT DEALERS WITH LOW CSI AND HIGH PER VEHICLE REPAIR EXPENSE WILL BE TARGETED FIRST AND MORE FREQUENTLY. GM IS PUSHING THE REPS, SO THE REPS WILL PUSH THE DEALERS. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO KEEP IN MIND IS DOCUMENTATION. IT IS EASIER TO SHOW YOUR RENTAL DETAIL LOG, CADSTAR OR OTHER TECH ASSIST CALL SHEET, SYMPTOM DIAGNOSIS WORKSHEET, CORRESPONDING TSB,ETC. ATTACHED TO THE SCRAPPING COPY AND SAY "SEE THAT IS WHY WE DID THAT". YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO BACK IT UP WITH P AND P COMPLIANCE, INCLUDING PROPERLY DOCUMENTED EXPLANATION FOR GOODWILL REPAIRS. YOU MAY GET INTO SOME ARGUMENTS OVER JUDGEMENT ISSUES, BUT IF YOU FOLLOW THE RULES AS A WAY OF DOING BUSINESS, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE. A REP WHO IS SHOWN THAT YOU ARE DOING THIS UPON YOUR INITIAL CONTACT WITH HIM OR HER IS MORE LIKELY TO BE SUPPORTIVE AND EVEN ASK WHY SOMETHING IS HAPPENING, RATHER THAN JUST SHOW UP AND START LOOKING HARD FOR WAYS TO CHARGE YOU BACK. THEY DO NOT WANT TO FIGHT A DEALER THEY KNOW CAN WIN.
MARY SHERICK

Variable diagnostic time

Postby Cindi » Thu Mar 11, 1999 8:50 pm

Right on-Mary!!
The jist of what has now become our nightmare is that if you follow the rules you won't get sent to the corner. GM has decided to make and break the rules as they go along to see fit. I real warranty pro will be able to keep up with all the changes that continue to take place in the long run and keep the dealers money. Right now, GM is is betting that the dealers won't be able to keep their money because some dealers live the the 'old boys' rule and say get it now and live with the consequences later. I say get it now and keep it later!! Slowly the shift is starting to take place. This week was the loaner car revision, who knows what it will be next week. I say, HANG ON TIGHT, IT'S GOING TO BE A BUMPY RIDE !!!
Cindi

Variable diagnostic time

Postby dmroper » Thu Mar 25, 1999 12:06 am

We're beginning to crack down on the tech now, at least will be soon.. There's so much commotion with the new store opening up, and it seems that those who are leaving for the new store aren't getting a whole lot done.. ANYWAY, we're having our tech meeting tomorrow, and our new assistant manager has asked me for a few examples to bring up at the meeting. I've got a few, and with our self-audit we're doing I'm going to have a bit of support in our complaints back in "The Warranty Room" about tech not having the proper punch times, stories, etc..

I'll let you know how it goes...
dmroper

Variable diagnostic time

Postby dmroper » Tue Mar 30, 1999 10:55 pm

Does anybody know where in the PNP or in a bulletin I can find specific documentation saying that we need punch times for diag, straight time, and the like ?
dmroper

Variable diagnostic time

Postby robc » Wed Mar 31, 1999 8:42 am

... like I wouldn't have that P&P page bookmarked

1999 P&P, Article 1.6, page 6, section M, bullet point three

It says,
"Record on the R.O. the reason for straight time. Separate on/off time recording is required for each straight time operation including on/off time associated with variable diagnosis time."

The line "... including on/off time associated with variable diagnosis time." is new for the 1999 Manual.

There has been a weak rumor that GM screwed up here and that the passage was added by mistake. Some have even suggested that this policy will be rescinded in the future. Who knows whether this is true or not. In the past when GM made mistakes like that they just wouldn't put the passage in the next manual. My point would be that until I have, in my hand, something from GM saying otherwise, I'd still follow the rule.

------------------
** Rob, Editor WD&S **
Help is only a message post away!
robc@dealersedge.com
robc

Previous

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers