Parts Delivered To Techs - Your Opinion

Parts Delivered To Techs - Your Opinion

Postby mrjaygraham » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:37 pm

I'm looking for thoughts and opinions from Service Managers and Technicians regarding parts being delivered to technicians. Here are the scenarios: (1) Tech needs a part, calls/emails/sends a text - parts department bills out and delivers the part. (2) - Vehicle Down in shop, parts had to be special ordered, the moment they arrive, deliver the parts to the technician.

Pros/Cons?
mrjaygraham

Re: Parts Delivered To Techs - Your Opinion

Postby Rykid50 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:41 pm

Im a parts manager but why would that ever be a bad thing? If parts have time to deliver it just makes everyone's life that mush easier. I would say its a positive thing.
Rykid50

Postby Richard » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:00 pm

mrjaygraham wrote:I'm looking for thoughts and opinions from Service Managers and Technicians regarding parts being delivered to technicians. Here are the scenarios: (1) Tech needs a part, calls/emails/sends a text - parts department bills out and delivers the part. (2) - Vehicle Down in shop, parts had to be special ordered, the moment they arrive, deliver the parts to the technician.

Pros/Cons?

Many times they need to come look at the catalog to get the right part. Many times they want to get away from the D@mn thing to think, and coming and looking at the catalog gives them breathing time. Sometimes they order a part to get it out of their stall so they can get a paying job in, knowing the part they ordered is wrong, or won't fix it. The other thing is the downtime for the person delivering parts to the techs, what are you going to do with them on light days?
Richard

Postby NITROZ28 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:41 pm

My view from a Parts Manager

We delivery all parts to the technician.
This helps in cycle time.
The quicker we get them what they need, the quicker they can move onto the next vehicle.

The technicians seem to like it.
No need to stop them from working on another car to come to the counter and see if the part has arrived.
Wasting the technicians time doesn't make the dealership profitable.
NITROZ28

Postby FixedManager » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:28 pm

It's a best practice in a large facility, impractical in a small one. I do it in my facilities.
FixedManager

Postby SYSTEMBOB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:34 pm

WE DID DELIVER TO THE TECHS UNTIL THEY STARTED CLAIMING THEY NEVER GOT THE PART
SYSTEMBOB

Postby Gregg Atwood » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:46 pm

We do a modified version we have set up a technician shelf. If vehicle is not in shop parts staged by repair order number/ technician number. If in shop parts delivered to tech. Minimizes back up at the parts window.
Gregg Atwood

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers