How to get customers to come back for warranty parts?

Re: How to get customers to come back for warranty parts?

Postby Foxbat_25 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:01 am

Eh, I'm working with rare vehicles, so when a customer needs a warranty part, he can't really get it from another source :mrgreen: but I get that in any other case, it's hard to deal with... At least, if you have lots of clients with the same vehicle, you can keep the parts and use them on the next client with the same issue, but if you're servicing customers with lots of different cars from different generations and makers...
Foxbat_25

Postby brparts » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:56 am

i posted this back in January in the parts managers side.i started to work for a dealer in 2006, when i took over, they had over $15,000.00 in warranty and special ordered parts 60 days old. i started calling the customers and most of them said they were never notified the parts were in. talked to the service manager and he said they don't have time to notify the customer. i started calling them back and told them to call the service dept and make a appointment or just come on down. service manager was not happy about that, went to the GM complaining. had a meeting and when the GM found out that customers were not being notified he he was not happy, got rid of over $10,000.00 in 60 days. you need to find out if customers are being notified.
brparts

Postby bsmith77327 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:38 pm

the problem we have is not the customer most of the time its the advisors letting them know the parts are here.
Whene they do tell them they have 7 days to come in or the part will be sent back and not reordered
bsmith77327

Postby PartsJD » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:19 pm

brparts wrote:i posted this back in January in the parts managers side.i started to work for a dealer in 2006, when i took over, they had over $15,000.00 in warranty and special ordered parts 60 days old. i started calling the customers and most of them said they were never notified the parts were in. talked to the service manager and he said they don't have time to notify the customer. i started calling them back and told them to call the service dept and make a appointment or just come on down. service manager was not happy about that, went to the GM complaining. had a meeting and when the GM found out that customers were not being notified he he was not happy, got rid of over $10,000.00 in 60 days. you need to find out if customers are being notified.

This is the best way to solve this problem.
The last thing a Service Department wants is the Parts Department calling these customers and making the appointments. When I had this problem, I would let the customer set the appointment, let them tell me when they want to come in, then just past that note over to the Service Department and tell them if they didn't like date & time that the customer chose then give them a call back.

However, before you resort to this make sure you have good policies in place. Make sure you are notifying the Service Department SOP status on a daily basis with reports of all parts on order, I create a report per Advisor and a complete report for the Manager with the report showing date ordered, date received, etc. Who is authorized to order parts? Don't let techs order parts without some sort of authorization.
PartsJD

Previous

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers