Ever had a tech call your customers?

Postby partsman1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Hey,

I am a newer PM that is also helping out with Service. I have a veteran tech that has his own customers that come to our service department. While we are grateful that he brings his customers here.... the concern that I have is that he is calling his customers when he founds out what is wrong. He will also call them and tell them what parts they need ... my suspicion is that he is telling them where to buy them as many of his customers bring their own parts.

My concern is that he is calling customers. Could this get our dealership into a liability issue when he is calling customers?

partsman1

Postby Art_Mopar » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:32 pm

It is a tough habit to break, but one that needs to be done. Long story short, technicians should not speak to the customer other than to aid the technician in diagnosing the vehicle. Anything other than that creates a scheduling, dispatching, and pricing headache of epic proportions!
Good luck!!!!!
Art_Mopar

Postby texaslp » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:44 pm

To answer your question, I don't see any liability issue. I see other issues...
texaslp

Postby 40+ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:05 pm

My first impression based on what you said, is... there is more going on than meets the eye.

As far as liability goes, the complexity of different State laws leads me to believe that consulting your Dealership Attorney would be the best advice.

40+

[This message has been edited by 40+ (edited 02-16-2012).]

40+

Postby sallen99 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:18 pm

I think the answer to your problem is to only allow customers to provider their own parts on a case-by-case basis approved by management. We have our techs talk to customers all the time, never has been an issue.

If you cannot break the customers from bringing their own parts I'd suggest a hold harmless agreement for each repair such that your dealer is not held responsible. Contact your insurance agent as he would be handling any claims.

sallen99

Postby GMCANADA » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:50 am

I feel that a customer would believe a tech before a service advisor, so I'm in favour of techs contacting customers on occasion. I have also heard of shops increasing the labor rate Substantially if a customer wants to use their own parts.
GMCANADA

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers