GMPP- All to typical for an insurance company..

Postby dmroper » Sun Jun 13, 1999 8:22 pm

I think GMPP is a really good extended warranty.

I hate submitting messy GMPP claims- though.

We had this claim where customer states a/c blows warm. Metal packed into orifice, everywhere in system. Adjuster came out and agreed that it was an unusual a/c failure. He ok'd 2 hours ol for a flush, but denied installation of the in-line filter, because we were going to flush it. After two hours of flushing, the metal kept coming. We had to get the adjuster back out, wanted to replace it all.. We called GMPP to try to get them to let us fix the vahicle. He said "if you have to flush it more than once, you did it wrong." "Sending an adjuster our costs us money, no. " He hung up on the service writer more than once.

Johnas says GMPP does not pay for flushes..

Our tech worked for five days on this vehicle, made no money, and we ended up writing off much of the repair..

When the vehicle(and our tech says it will)comes back, we can't really charge warranty expense. We weren't authorized to fix the vehicle right. We did replace a compressor, but after hours and hours of flushing, r and r of expansion valve, and an (internal) installation of three filters, hours of flushing, the metal kept coming. That's not exactly a defect in materials or workmanship.. I say we bill GMPP again, and have them send the adjuster out.

I was half-tempted to tell our GMPP zone rep that we were going to bill the customer, and explain to them the problems we were having with them.

Does anybody have similar problems with GMPP ?

dmroper

Postby Michael White » Sun Jun 13, 1999 8:40 pm

I think it is time to tsalk to as supevisor. If they do not give you help, talk to your local GMPP rep.It still amy not help you. I have only had 1 time in my carrier where I felt gmpp was not being fair to me. There was a Firebird with such severe coolant corrosion, we had to cut the intak manifold in quarters and cut the bolts because everything was fused together. They came out and inspected it. I was shocked they covered it becasue of severe abuse, but they did. He said he would cover me on the extra time. He gave us 1.0hrs max when it was all over with. He was being unreasonable. At the same time, I quoted the customer time for teardown and corrosion repairs before we went into the engine. I ended up charging the customer about 4 hours. He did not like it. He eventually was reimbursed by GMPP, but had to go through a lot of hoops.
I have never seen a compressor fail this bad and creat this much metal damage. How did yhou flush the system? 2 or three filter changes should have been enough.

Mike White
Michael White

Postby dmroper » Tue Jun 15, 1999 2:02 am

Actually, the story on the invoice says:
Check a/c compressor, noisy and not pumping. Remove orifice, and inspect. Solidly packed fine pieces of metal totally plugging orifice, GMPP sent inspector out to inspect, approved repairs, remove orifice found small screen outlet side of orifice torn letting the finest pieces of metal flow through system. Remove expansion valve totally plugged with metal, remove compressor, reinstall orifice inlet fitting and install dummy valve and flush with kent-more flush tool j-42939, repeat process 5 times, replace expansion valve, orifice, compressor, and accumulator, exacuate and recharge, test system, rear expansion valve plugged up, r & r expansion valve and clean, evacuate and recxharge, repeat process several times, valve kept plugging up, install inline filter (DENIED BY GMPP, BY THE WAY) flush discharge line from rear evaporator with nitrogen, clean expansion valve and orifice, evacuate and recharge, system ran for approximately 10 minutes and plugged filter, replaced filter, evacuate and charge, run system for extended time, replace filter due to heavy metal packing in filter which was not serviceable, r&r valve and (continued in the comments field-) orifice to try to verify that metal removed from system, replaced filter and evacuate and evacuate and charge system, test for an hour again, system works ok.

(MAYBE NOT WORD FOR WORD, BUT YOU CAN GET THE PICTURE WITH THIS CONCISE DESCRIPTION)

I've still not heard from our rep.. I left messages on her voice mail. 5.2 hours were approved.. I know the tech spent more time than that flushing and r & r'ing the valves that kept plugging..

The tech said a few times that if the customer would have shut it all off and not tried to run it for so long, the system wouldn't have been so bad..

We kept samples of the oil, the filters, orifice, and more.. Just to cover ourselves..

This is Arizona, after all.. I understand the panic of an inoperative a/c system.. Especially since it's started to heat up..

But the way GMPP handled this repair was just wrong.. And the behavior of the two people I talked to were just all too typical of an insurance company.. A crooked one, at that..

I bet they have quotas- They can only authorize so much a day- They get paid on commission.. Every fourth call they have them "r/s in 24 hours"..
Think about it- Ever called in at the end of the day- and find them questioning and failing to understand the simplest of reject codes and trying to convince you that you're not entitled to be reimbursed ?

I'm likely overreacting.. But this was a really frustrating job for our tech, and an even more frustrating claim.. I've got the authorization to write off the remainder, but I want to at least try...

This situation leaves much to the imagination...

dmroper

Postby jrcal » Tue Jun 15, 1999 11:04 am

We have had problems like this. The vehicle we worked on had to have three in line filters and flushes before we could get it to last. GMPP would not pay for the second and third filters and flush. We billed the customer and told them to write GMPP and complain. So far the customer has not been reimbursed. We don't know any other way to handle these claims. We have the same problem as it applies to extra diag time. We pass the costs on to the cutomer if the x-warranty doesn't pay.

------------------
JC
jrcal

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 15, 1999 9:04 pm

The two times I felt that I was not getting a fair shake from GMPP, I called our area manager and we compermised - this way we made a couple of dollars and the vehicle was repaired. And if you speak to the manager, I bet he won't hang up on you.
Dave

Postby MARY SHERICK » Thu Jun 17, 1999 11:40 pm

WHEN DEALING WITH A SIMILAR ISSUE WITH A GMPP CLAIM, IT WAS MUCH EASIER NOT TO GET INTO AN ARGUMENT. I JUST TOLD HIM THAT WE WOULD AGREE TO DISAGREE, AND ASKED FOR HIS SUPERVISOR. WHEN HE HUNG UP ON ME, I CALLED THE AREA REP, THEN I CALLED THE MIC CARES NUMBER AGAIN, AND GOT A DIFFERENT PERSON. I THEN EXPLAINED THAT I NEEDED TO TALK TO A SUPERVISOR, BUT THAT IS WAS NOT REGARDING THEM. THE PERSON I SPOKE TO WAS VERY WILLING TO PASS THE BUCK. I THEN EXPLAINED THE ISSUE TO THE SUPERVISOR, ASKED FOR THE NECESSARY AUTHORIZATION. I ALSO POLITELY EXPLAINED THAT ANY ARGUMENTS WOULD BE CARRIED ON WITH THE VEHICLE OWNER, SINCE THAT WAS THEIR CUSTOMER, AS WELL AS OURS. IT WORKED VERY WELL, AND VERY CIVILLY.
MARY SHERICK

Postby dmroper » Fri Jun 18, 1999 10:21 am

Our area rep is really a nice lady, and she and the inspector have been in communication.. The adjuster called me, and said that our rep said to authorize the OL, and apologized for what happened with Chicago.. It wasn't a heated discussion, I just let her know how things happened. The adjuster told her that we've never asked for anything we didn't need, and I think she knows now how bad this deal was.. The technician says it's the worst he's seen, and he's been at our dealership for at least 15 years working on a/c.

I wish I'd been involved in this sooner, rather than when the ticket just showed up on my desk- But I'm glad we don't have to write anything off- It still sucks for the tech who worked for free for many hours, but as he said to me, "It's all part of the game."
dmroper

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers