Do we need a P&S Director?

Postby zekensted » Fri May 01, 2009 11:17 am

We are part of a chain of dealers. Our smaller store has no "upper manager" on site - only department managers. Our parts department isnt supporting service correctly, wholesale or retail customers. I feel that a senior manager type here would be helpful to both departments.
Any thoughts on how you know when its time to have a Parts and Service Director?
zekensted

Postby Stevenspeaking » Fri May 01, 2009 12:12 pm

What do you mean by "parts department isnt supporting service correctly, wholesale or retail customers"?

------------------
Its like a big lifesize chess game.
Stevenspeaking

Postby Tyler Robbins » Fri May 01, 2009 12:31 pm

As part of a chain of dealers, is there a Group-Wide P&S Director?

Does the smaller store you mentioned have a GM or someone who is ultimately responsible for the store as a whole?
Tyler Robbins

Postby airrick » Fri May 01, 2009 1:10 pm

My experience through the years has led me to the conclusion that in a large dealer group you would nees a parts and service director to establish process, policy, procedure and continuity within the group. A small dealer group of two to four stores should be able to communicate and establish these without another level of management to suck more net out of each store.
A strong manager does not need someone else to get the job done. a strong manager gets it done. If your managers are not getting it done you need to find someome who can. There is an abundance of strong managers available now with many more to follow. Don't settle for a weak individual when you can get a real manager to get the job done!
airrick

Postby KevvyG » Fri May 01, 2009 2:30 pm

It sounds to me like your current Parts Manager needs to be sat down with. Explain your concerns and have him rectify them. There may be a side to his story as well.

If he can't get it together, unfortunately it may be time to replace him.
KevvyG

Postby Yoda » Fri May 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Have parts and/or service managers from some of your other stores drop in sometime to see whats going on without stating that as the reason for the visit. Watch the operation, ask questions, whatever. It may be a question of training, personality conflict or attitude. Take neccesary steps (training, counseling, transfer, replacement) to correct the problem.

------------------
Either do, or do not. There is no "try"
Yoda

Postby zekensted » Sun May 03, 2009 9:02 pm

As far as support for service, retail, and wholesale...
Despite what sales indicate, the stocking levels are not correct - so service, retail, and wholesale are not supported correctly.
Aftermarket alternatives that have a lower msrp are being sold below OEM price despite the fact that the aftermarket alternatives have a higher cost.
We stock coffee mugs but will not stock paint.
We sell to our wholesale customers at cost plus instead of matrix list minus and only show true list on the parts invoice.
Only high priced tires are stocked...no alternatives stocked even though they are available.
I could go on, but I think this is all done because the DP doesnt really understand the fixed side of the business and isnt in our store. There is no one in our store with any authority above the sales, parts, or service manager, so we are left to fend for ourselves and I cant seem to get the parts manager on board.
Yes, I want the title and authority. And yes, I think we need someone who understands both departments in our store.
zekensted

Postby DEotM » Mon May 04, 2009 10:09 am

and it could be that upper management has tied the PM's hands and loaded him/her down with all this junk (coffee mugs) to sell, and told him to buy aftermarket parts from his buddy Jimbo at RANA auto parts.

Or s/he could be getting a nice kickback from his/her buddy/cousin Jimbo.

Lots of different things it COULD be. Best to sit down with the PM and find out what's up.

Giving a SM the P&S title so they can lord over the PM is foolish, unless the SM really knows something about actually running a parts department.
DEotM

Postby fixed-op emperor » Mon May 04, 2009 11:50 am

I took over parts and service years ago from the service side not knowing much about parts. What I did know was how to establish a team atmosphere and get the two departments working together. By simply having the authority to make the decisions that are best for our customers I have been able to create a booming fixed operation. We are still growing even in the current economy and by the time I retire the parts and service managers I have in place will be best friends. Anyone who would like to see my pay plans for advisors and parts counter should post their e-mail on this forum.
fixed-op emperor

Postby ZOOM1 » Mon May 04, 2009 12:51 pm

As far as pricing goes("matrix list minus---showing true list on invoice").we discount for wholesale from list ,but use true list also.Manufacturers' list prices are readily available nowdays on the internet, from insurance companies,and some programs that our wholesale customers use(AllData for one).Artificially inflating list price can be just asking for trouble.Also if there is any local competition with the same manufacturer a simple phone call will expose your innaccurate pricing.Matrix pricing has it's place,but I don't believe it is in the wholesale business.
ZOOM1

Next

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers