Trap Resistant Rear Compartment (Trunk) Kit

Postby jrcal » Mon Apr 05, 1999 4:23 pm

Has anyone ordered and installed this kit? This informantion comes from bulletin 99-08-66-002. My questions are:
1. how long did it take to install the kit? The labor time is listed as 1.2 hours but there are four add times some of which are "modify rear compartment trim" and "modify rear compartment sheet metal".
2. which latch package is used?...two are listed
3. which cars require the extra switch package?
4. which vehicles require the strap package?

Also, if you read the bulletin, you will notice GM wants the customer to only pay a maximum of $50.00 for the parts and labor to install the complete kit. A call to the DBC revealed the $50 is for the original kit only. Additional parts and all the labor are to be submitted using the labor op Z2030 and listed labor time. Anyone tried to submit a claim for this operation yet?

thanks,

------------------
JC
jrcal

Postby Michael White » Tue Apr 06, 1999 1:19 am

GM did a extremely poor job of describing what they want. Does this bulletin allow us to put in this kit for $50 to 98% of all the Pontiac and Buicks (our franchises) made since 1990, without limitations? Sure sounds like it. We have ordered 2 kits for our dealership. How is GM notifying customers about this set up? I will probably put one on my demo to see what it does and how effective it is. If the instructions are clear, it might involve resetting the latch assembly every time you open the trunk. This might be a little annoying. If GM plans to open this up to everyone, they need to be blatantly obvious and it should have been presented to the dealer body in the form of a special policy and not in bulletin form. However, this is just my opinion. My DSM is also confused about the bulletin. But you never know. It is the new GM.

Mike White
Michael White

Postby David Henson » Tue Apr 06, 1999 9:56 am

I had the chance to look at the Saturn bulletin outlining the installation procedure this past weekend (some 20 pages). I found it funny that the "Route to" box said to send it to the General Manager, Parts Manager and Service Manager. The Technician box was un-checked.
David Henson

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers