TECHLINE PRINTERS

TECHLINE PRINTERS

Postby D.L. BAGWELL » Sat Jun 12, 1999 1:18 pm

I just purchased a new computer through pcsource. IBM 450 WITH THE 10G HARD DRIVE But I did not purchase the printer yet. I feel like with ESI and wiring diagrams and other illistration it needs to be pretty sharp image. but also so feel because we will only have one techline hooked up for a while I would like to have a faster print capability also. we are going to hook up the old techline in another area of the shop. mainly for back up only, I feel once the new computer is up and running no one will ever go to the slow one again. Does anyone already have the new computer's up and running and have any recommendation on printer's.
Thank you in advance for your comments!

P.S
Also, I just started reviewing this website and have been in automotive dealer's 25 years and love being able to communicate with people that have same interest and challenges that I do. Thanks for this forum room.

------------------
D.L. BAGWELL

TECHLINE PRINTERS

Postby Michael White » Sun Jun 13, 1999 1:45 am

We replaced a t6 and a t65 a month ago with 2 Gateway 450 Mgh Pentuim III systems and are working great. We also hooked up a generatic laser printer from the sales department. It is a IBM clone type printer and prints out about 12-15 pages a minute.The guys in the shop love the systems and are working flawlessly after having to spend a couple of hours on the phone with Techline to get through some of their bugs.If you do not have a printer, get a high speed unit that is economical. I do not think there is a compatibility situation as long as you have the printer driver. You are not required to use their recommended systems. Do not buy systems from the GM catalog.They are overpriced. You can buy Gateway systems directly from Gateway and also get a discount if you mention you are with GM. Buying directly from GM will cost you additional.Also be aware of the costs to support techline if you are expanding your systems. They charge you a lot of bucks. Again, we have been real happy with Gateway and have been using the Pentium 3 systems and they are working great.We have also updgraded 6 other computers with Gateway, and have found them to be very economical and supportive.

Mike White

[This message has been edited by Michael White (edited 06-13-99).]

Michael White

TECHLINE PRINTERS

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Sun Jun 13, 1999 9:41 am

Mike,
In our shop we have stuck with HP Deskjets, there has never been a compatability problem, and the best thing about them is that you will be able to buy the printer cartridges for many years to come. The cartidges have also always remain the most reasonably priced.
Gerry
Gerry Laughlin

TECHLINE PRINTERS

Postby Michael White » Sun Jun 13, 1999 6:00 pm

Jerry, if I had to buy a printer, HP would probably be at the top of my list. However, the printer we got is a high speed laser, best of all, it was free.

Mike White
Michael White

TECHLINE PRINTERS

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Mon Jun 14, 1999 9:36 am

Mike,
Sorry, meant to aim that at D.L., but I will agree, you sure paid a better price than I did.
Gerry Laughlin

TECHLINE PRINTERS

Postby K. Lane » Thu Jun 24, 1999 1:22 am

We have HP printers at our facility. They work great on ESI, and Techline text. The only problem is if you try to print graphics from techline bulletins, the computer will lock up. If you remember that, HP works fine. I called Techline support and they said techline only supports about 6 printers, (the list is in techline), and all but one are dot matrix printers. The training center uses Leximark laser jet printers, but most shops can't afford laser jets for each terminal. Our HP has held up great in the shop environment, and we haven't had to change our ink cartidges since we started using it almost a year ago and we do quite a bit of printing.
K. Lane

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers