ESI

ESI

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Fri Jul 30, 1999 2:42 pm

Considering GM's Batting average with software, I held up on loading the June ESI update. About a week and a half ago, when i recieved the July update, I finally loaded Junes update, then July. Since then our Access server has been locking up. I know it is due to the ESI server not unloading the Guide table viewer, which was new with the June update. According to GM no one else has had this problem. How has everybody elses recent ESI loads went?
Thanks All
Gerry Laughlin
Gerry Laughlin

ESI

Postby Michael White » Sat Jul 31, 1999 1:00 am

We have 2 computers and h of them arfe working fine with no bugs. Sorry you are having concerns

Mike White
Michael White

ESI

Postby mark vandersteeg » Mon Aug 02, 1999 11:26 am

load esi directly onto the hard drive of a client pc in the shop with at least 6 gig of space available. network it to access and set up only partition for disk #2 so that you can take advantage of weekly bulletin updates. call the helpline and ask them how to change the speed setting in the registry so that information loads faster and they will help you.
mark vandersteeg

ESI

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Wed Aug 04, 1999 6:13 am

Mark,
Finally heard back from GMACCESS. They had me remove ESI from the server and reinstall. Apparently some old files from the previous version of Guide table viewer were left on the server. Seems to have taken care of problem. As far as how we connect, we have one PC set up as a NTserver for ESI (Not the access server) and other various software that our service department uses, like Shopkey, Warranty Wizard, etc. I copy all the cd's to a drive on that server. The drive has a directory for each disk, ie s:\disk1; s:\disk2; etc. Each PC that needs access to ESI (about 8 PC's) has a drive mapped to this drive on the server. From there I took one PC and ran partition manager, setting it up so it looks for CD2 on the GMAccess server, the rest are set to look at drive "S" which is mapped to the NTserver drive that has the rest of the cd's copied on to it. After a small amount of editing in the ESI.INI file, changing "CD_ACCESS_TEXT" to no, and making sure they look to drive "S" for all there info. I then copied that INI file to the Windows directory on all the PC's that needed access to ESI. We've ran it this way since the multiple CD set came out, so far no problems related to running it this way. I did try to ask the lady from ESI about the registry deal to speed up load time, she didn't know anything about it. If you have any more info on that I would like to hear about it.

Thanks,
Gerry Laughlin
Gerry Laughlin

ESI

Postby jrcal » Wed Aug 25, 1999 9:01 am

Did you know GM considers ESI to not be "technically current" and is planning to replace it with SI 2000?
According to admin message SOS19990011, GM is going to go to "Service Information on the Web".
Sending your techs to the ESI classes and buying new computers to run ESI has only been temporary. "These SI products will replace the ESI navigation tool which was developed in 1993 is no longer technically current"
Are we moving at the speed of light or what?

------------------
JC

[This message has been edited by jrcal (edited 08-25-99).]

jrcal

ESI

Postby Michael White » Thu Aug 26, 1999 10:19 pm

JC,

We have been lking about ESI on the web for months. GM ACCESS is maxed out. You can access it already. Check the web address under the other topic for ESI.They just changed the
passwords

Mike White
Michael White

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers