Reynolds & Reynolds dispatch

Postby Rob Kealey » Sun Sep 12, 1999 1:38 am

I am new to R&R and find that I am continually being overloaded by the R&R scheduling logic. I have determined that it loads me to 100% capacity daily and have not yet found a way to beat it. My people are becoming stressed and my CSI is suffering from my inability to handle the volume.
Help!
Rob Kealey

Postby David Henson » Mon Sep 13, 1999 10:02 am

Rob, you're right about the logic. Priority assignments generally create the first problem. Of course there are two types of priorities. The first is entered at write-up (merchandising) and R&R has 6 or 7 that writers can use. To keep it simple, I suggest that you only use 1, 2 and 3. 1 should be for waiters, 2 for sold units, comebacks and appointments (which should show the promise time as when they arrived). Everything else should use 3.

Next, you get into advisors that will enter unrealistic promise times to get their work in front of everyone else. This is where a good dispatcher comes in and may have to make "adjustments" to promise times.

The logic of how work falls in line is based on priority, amount of work (this time is supposed to calculate each 3 times a job is started and finished but can be adjusted if, for example, you know that engine miss is going to require internal engine repair) and promise time. Good luck.
David Henson

Postby RMARTIN » Wed Sep 15, 1999 12:18 am

Rob, what you are experiencing is common. Perhaps I can give you a few tips to make your life easier. First, start by checking in screen 3324 (Dispatch Master) on selection # 4 (Must start sequence option) to see if it is set to 4. If it is, the computer will automatically assign R/O's based on R/O priority, date entered, time entered in that order. If it is set to some other number(1-3) it will assign based on the date entered, time entered, then priority (e.g. first in,first out). This prevents the waiters to be done before others and whole bunch of other headaches! Second, check selection # 5 on the same screen (3324) to see if it matches what you have set up to be the waiter priority. R&R allows you up to nine different priorities. But the advisors usually get overwhelmed afer about 4 or 5. In my store, we use the following..1-Management approval only (this means this car gets done FIRST), 2-Rechecks, 3-Waiter with appt.(those should be done before waiters w/o appts),4-Waiter w/o appt. and 5-Appointments only and finally 6-All others. Use what works for you. Bear in mind this is a priority ranking for each customer relative to all other customers (internal & external). Which leads us to: Third, be sure all advisors agree on the priorites to be assigned and do so properly and consistently! Fourth, check screen # 3325 to be sure the estimated time per operation is reasonbly close to what it actually takes. If you have your LOF set at 1.0 hrs. estimated time, then your LOF dept. will fill up rather quickly. Same goes for Heavy Line (make sure it's not set at .5 hrs. or you will have bogus promise times). Fifth, train your advisors to use option 10 in 3030 screen BEFORE they print the R/O. This will allow the computer to calculate the estimated time of completion using the # of techs, est. time per operation, # of stalls, # of vehicles for that operation, time techs are available, etc. etc. etc. Many other factors are involved but these are the basics. Any further questions just e-mail direct. Good Luck P.S. Tell everyone to be patient while you work it out. Randy
RMARTIN

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers