Labor Time Guide Studies

Labor Time Guide Studies

Postby dmroper » Wed Feb 24, 1999 1:10 am

Has anyone tried and gotten the desired results ? Where do you see some unreasonable cuts and how can you convince a tech to do one instead of complain and get approval for OL ?
dmroper

Labor Time Guide Studies

Postby robc » Wed Feb 24, 1999 8:11 am

Normally I'll grab a monthly LTG bulletin and show it to the tech. The trick here is to research a bit and load your examples. Show him how say one labor operation went from .8 to 1.3 or somthing like that ...(again, make sure to pick good examples BEFORE you show him.)

Then I'll turn to him and say, "look some other tech took the time to write in an request a review, and now you'll benefit. Does he think GM increased the time out of their own benevolence? No, the time increased cause some tech somewhere cared enough to send in the form. If the time isn't right, how is GM and the rest of country going to know unless shops complain about it?"

Little guilt sometimes can go a long way with the right tech.

Good Luck! :-)

------------------
** Rob, Editor WD&S **
Help is only a message post away!
robc@dealersedge.com

robc

Labor Time Guide Studies

Postby GreggT67 » Wed Feb 24, 1999 11:43 pm

In a 2 year stretch when I was working at a GM dealership, I submitted something on the order of 19 LTG reviews. Most of them were for stupid little things in the LTG. A missing labor op, missing labor time, etc. You'd be surprised that most of the time I'd get a letter back saying an addition or correct to the LTG was made and would show up in the next revision.

As far as techs and LTG review requests, I always kept a few copies of the LTG Request for Review form in my desk. If a technician came to complain about the time for a labor operation, I'd hand them a copy of the form and tell them to fill it out. In all my years I only know of 2 who actually did fill it out.

GreggT67

Labor Time Guide Studies

Postby dmroper » Sat Feb 27, 1999 4:44 am

We've got two clerks and one admin right now- and I've made 100 copies of the form.. Passed the word that if the time is wrong, let's do a study. Complaining on tech's time is unproductive.. He makes no money, and we are doing less work when we argue. The warranty admin at another local dealer (a former at our shop, I might add) said he had a clerk that had been in warranty quite a while submit six or seven and three so far have resulted in changes when the updates came... We haven't been using them until recently..
dmroper

Labor Time Guide Studies

Postby MARY SHERICK » Sun Feb 28, 1999 10:55 pm

I HAVE HAD TECHS GRIPE ABOUT THE REVIEWS, BUT IF THEY SEE THE ANSWERBACK STG SENDS WHEN YOUR REVIEW RESULTS IN A CHANGE, IE.:COLORCOAT ALLOWANCE ON DEVILLE BODY SIDE MOLDINGS, THE PROOF IS IN BLACK AND WHITE. I FIND THAT A RATHER FUNNY WAY TO GET THE POINT MADE IS TO TELL THE TECH TWO THINGS: THE JOB ISN'T DONE UNTIL THE PAPERWORK IS FINISHED, AND IF YOU WANT TO COMPLAIN, DO IT IN INK. THEY WILL GET THE MESSAGE.
MARY SHERICK

Labor Time Guide Studies

Postby dmroper » Thu Mar 25, 1999 12:11 am

I've been trying to be supportive to the guys- and gals- Each time I hear their complaints.. I've told them about a few of your examples and they seem to be getting it, and I look forward to doing my first few studies here soon..
dmroper

Labor Time Guide Studies

Postby MARY SHERICK » Mon Mar 29, 1999 11:14 pm

YOU MIGHT TRY KEEPING A COPY OF THE ANSWER FROM STG. I KEEP SEVERAL OF THEM, SO IF A TECH SAYS "THEY NEVER LISTEN", I SHOW THE TECH A COPY OF THE ONES THAT HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE. IT SHOWS THAT THE WHEEL THAT ACTUALLY SQUEAKS, GETS GREASED.

------------------
MARY SHERICK

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers