Incorrect Oil Change

Incorrect Oil Change

Postby Ironchild » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:08 pm

Just a question for any service managers out there. If you have a customer that comes in to the shop for an oil change and they request to use an oil not meeting the specifications set forth by the vehicle manufacturer, do you do perform the oil change? If so do you notate anything on the paperwork? Just curious what others are doing in these circumstances. Thanks!
Ironchild

Incorrect Oil Change

Postby drapp » Fri May 03, 2013 4:48 pm

Haven't had this one for a few years. However, we used to have a few customers insist on using 10W40 when GM had no such recommendation. We cautioned the owner that the oil was not the proper specification and use of the oil may impact warranty coverage should a failure occur. But in the end the vehicle is the customer's property and they can do what they want. Of course this was noted on the repair order each time.

Now if the vehicle is leased I would assume that would open a whole other set of problems. The leasing company would probably have something to say about this.

With the 2014 GM trucks using 0W20 this will likely be a topic of discussion we all will be having.

GM dealers by the end of the year will be dealing with - AT LEAST...

0W20
5W20
5W30
5W30 DEXOS1
???? DEXOS2 CRUZE DIESEL
ATF DEXRON 6

Plus all the past model stuff.

Think you lube techs better pay attention...
drapp

Incorrect Oil Change

Postby drapp » Fri May 03, 2013 4:48 pm

DUPLICATE POST

[This message has been edited by drapp (edited 05-10-2013).]

drapp

Incorrect Oil Change

Postby cville1987 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:39 pm

Where can I find info on the new trucks using 0W20?
cville1987

Incorrect Oil Change

Postby drapp » Fri May 10, 2013 7:50 am

Global Connect Message G_0000164626. Take a look at the program guidelines attachment. There is a chart on page 3 that mentions it. To my knowledge there has not been an official announcement. But did you really expect one?
drapp

Incorrect Oil Change

Postby cville1987 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:07 pm

No, I guess I didn't. LOL
cville1987

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers