KIA MOTORS AMERICA BITES!!

Postby Tiff » Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:55 pm

I just really need to vent, and thought what better place than amongst my peers!
Where do I start????
I just got a 1099 tax form from Kia Motors showing other income of $6250.00 for 2001. I havent worked at that dealer since December 2000. I knew when I left there was the definate possibility of attaining a 3 month CSI bonus, in the range of 6K, and assumed I would be notified if I had and forgot about it. Well, I called KMA to get a statement reflecting this amount, or an answer as to what it was I supposedly "earned" I was advised a check was cut to me in the amount of $6050.00 on 1/23/01 and was voided because I no longer worked for the company. I advised them that this was money I earned for a portion of the time I was there--October-December 2000, thus, I earned it like any other bonus or incentive plan set up by an employer. They explained it was just their policy. What a load of crap!!!
The dealer I worked for was near the bottom of the CSI scale for the district and region when I came in as Service Director. When I left we were at the top. We were number 1 sales dealer in the Region, needless to say Kia was pretty impressed by us. If I had stayed with the company I was slotted to travel to Korea to tour the factory--all expenses paid. The DPSM just raked in the cash, we were HIS dealer, Kia pays their reps huge bonuses based on their districts CSI and we brought the average way up or way down on sheer volume alone. They sent 2 engineers to my shop for 3 days--from Korea, to see whats going on in the USA with their product, I picked them up from the hotel every day, took them back, took them to dinner on my time, while they were here, the World Series was on--Mets vs Yankees--bigtime Subway series, I sent them shirts and hats from the series...again, on my dime. If anyone worked for Kia from 1997-2000 they know, OH MY GOD...the customers were horrible!!! Can you blame them?? The cars were the worst on the market. Our monthly warranty repairs (125K+) doubled Hyundai and tripled Nissan and we only sold 100 a month tops, where we sold 400 Hyundai's (we were #1 in nation)and 150 or so Nissans in a light month. THEY WERE GARBAGE! But, we managed to keep the customers happy, at some point our Kia CSI bypassed out Nissan CSI. I protected my rep from the screamers, difused countless bad situations, and had an awsome rapport with KMA consumer reps--hell, I drove 60 miles to NJ to meet he and his wife for Dinner, just to put a face to the voice, and I still talk to the other one, I sent her a wedding gift just recently. What a slap in the face!! 500 bucks no biggie..6K...biggie!!! Just goes to show you what a fabulous company KMA is. I use to tell people how good KMA is to their own and how they stand behind their product... whoa, was I wrong!!! 10 year 100000 mile warranty...what good is it when you cant drive the car...it is in the shop all of the time. I dare anybody on the dealership service end to tell me otherwise. The background we have in KIA overall quality and the internet are a very bad combination. It is amazing to find the number of websites out there that just bash the heck out of KIA, looking back, they are crap, and I was foolish to go to bat for them everytime a customer complained--8 out of 10 hated their KIA.

Do I sound like the bitter employee or what...shame on me, but, it really ... "tweeks my melon" to take such pride in what I do and to be shut down like this. My Dad was a dealer principle, he died, I went into service in 1989 as a cashier, then warranty administrator, service advisor, ASM, then for the last 2 years a Service Director. I am a naive 34 year old woman who is starting to understand the business didnt the bad name for no reason, don't get me wrong, I love what I do and wouldn't change for a minute, I love people, the challenge, the game, the cars and most of all the guys (techs), hell, I still write up more than 60% of our service customers in any given day...I work for Chevy again...thank god!!! our CSI now is 79.7% top box--3 month, 73.2% 12 month--24% above market, 20% above region, and 19% above division. The factories always tell us we are their representatives, so what is the deal here??? If I didnt love what I did and have an incredible work ethic I would say to hell with it.

I have rambled long enough...

Thanks all...much respect to all of us!!!
Tiff
Tiff

Postby BillK » Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:02 pm

Tiff,
Hmmmm, sounds like the IRS would love to get hold of that one. Sent you a 1099 for wages that were not paid ? Might want to have a talk with "Uncle"
BillK

Postby flyboy » Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:27 pm

Hmm, sure sounds like something is amiss here. The 1099 thing is illegal. Go to your local IRS office, or call, or visit the web site, I am certain this can be handled rather easily and quickly.

As to flaming KMA, thats the way it is! Some have better relationships, some have worse. Good to hear it has not effected your desire to continue working hard for your present dealer and customers.
flyboy

Postby gman » Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:28 am

Tiff,

I know how you feel. I have had a similar occurrence with GM, supported by the dealer. It is a tough lesson to learn and even tougher to swallow. The moral of the story is that once you leave employment all bets are off, regardless of how amicable the seperation is or how good a job you did. In my case and apparently yours, it seems that we expected the manufacturer/dealer to at least be up front and honest. I guess we forgot who we are dealing with!! Be happy in knowing that you did a great job, and above all don't sink to their level when dealing with this...it isn't worth it. Remember there seems to be some truth to the adage "what goes around comes around" There surely must be a special section of h--l for some of these guys, just make sure you don't meet 'em there!

gman
gman

Re: KIA MOTORS AMERICA BITES!!

Postby isdaqq » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:30 pm

you look forward to getting behind the wheel of your Kia...!! You need to surround yourself with quality people
isdaqq

Re: KIA MOTORS AMERICA BITES!!

Postby X476 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:06 pm

Had just the oppisite from Chrysler years back, won a trip to Vegas for a week, in October 2002, did not get the 1099 till July of 2003. I called numerous times but to now avail, my accountant just added $5000.00 to my income with a note to IRS. Put the difference on 2003 taxes. IRS never contacted me so I assume it flew.
X476

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers