Efficiency for squeek.rattles, leaks,etc

Postby Michael White » Sat Apr 17, 1999 8:29 pm

I have completed annual reviews and have challenged the 3 techs who do specialize in the squeek, rattle, water leak, and fit and finish areas. These areas are traditionally, at least in my world of influence, the lowest % jobs in our shop. To add more info, we are a hourly union shop and would like to see what other shops do for their techs who do this work and what efficiency ratings do they have. These techs are very trained in identifying time flags for info for warranty OLH. But I want to make sure I am not taking advantage of GM or not being taken advantage of.
I am also interested in what quantity OLH other GM stores would do for a severe water leak for example that requires stripping the interior for drying and sometimes for water leak analysis. The squeek/rattle/water leak is probably my largest area for OLH.
Mike White
Michael White

Postby MARY SHERICK » Sun Apr 18, 1999 10:01 pm

EFFICIENCY IN THIS AREA VARIES BY TECH ABILITY, SEVERITY OF PROBLEM, AND SOMEWHAT DUE TO ACCURATE COMPLAINT DESCRIPTION. IN REGARD TO TIME DECISIONS, I WOULD RECOMMEND CONSULTING THE LTG FOR ALL LOPS TO COMPLETE THE REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION OF COMPONENTS FOR ACCESS AND CLEANING. THEN A REASONABLE TIME FOR DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR,RESEAL ETC. IF YOU HAVE A GREAT DEAL OF TIME INVOLVED, I WOULD ALSO SUGGEST A PHOTO OF THE VEHICLE GUTTED TO THE POINT OF DIAGNOSIS. POLAROIDS ARE GOOD FOR THIS. THEM, TAKE A GREASE PENCIL AND CIRCLE THE AREA. AS THEY SAY, A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS. YOU WILL STILL HAVE TO HAVE THE TECH COMPLETE THE WRITTEN DOCUMENTATION. THERE CANNOT BE A STANDARD TIME, SINCE IT IS OBVIOUSLY LESS TIME CONSUMING TO GUT A METRO, FOR EXAMPLE, IN COMPARISON TO A SEVILLE.
MARY SHERICK

Postby jrcal » Mon Apr 19, 1999 11:42 am

We have trouble in these areas also. I am always wondering what other shops do for the OLH in these repairs. Let's face it, each of these repairs is unique and can't possibly follow the guidelines of the already vague labor time guide. Resealing a window may show .5 labor hours but most of the time to find the leak and repair the damage to water soaked areas is OLH.

At our shop, I just try to be fair with both the tech and GM. If any published bulletins are out that describe the problem, I am not inclined to give the tech any diag time and then only stick to the published labor times for the carpet plus the times for cleaning. If no bulletins exist then I charge the full time we worked on the problem.

jrcal

Postby slilly » Mon Apr 19, 1999 12:41 pm

I GUESS IT ALSO DEPENDS WHO YOU CONSIDER IN THIS QUESTION OF EFFICIENCY. WE TURNED 95% OF THESE COMPLAINTS OVER TO "MASTER" BODY SHOP TECH WE PAY ON SALARY, PLUS HE RECIEVES A WEEKLY BONUS IF HE "ASSISTS" THE OTHER TECHS IN THEIR PRODUCTION.
SOME GM PRODUCTS ARE WORSE THAN OTHERS WITH THESE PROBLEMS, YOU DOCUMENT ALL YOU WANT BUT SEEMS LIKE GM'S ATTITUDE THEY BUILD VEHICLE WITH PROBLEMS THAT REQUIRE EXTRA LABOR TIME HOURS. SO WHAT DO WE DO? ANYTHING OVER 4.O HOURS WE COST IT IN.
EXAMPLE= TECHS HAS 6.1 OLH HOURS TO DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR, TECH COST IS $16.50 X 6.1= $100.65 DIVIDED BY FACTORY LABOR RATE OF $52.= ASKING FACTORY FOR 2.0 OLH.
THE DEALERSHIP COMES OUT THE LOSER, WHICH IS THE WAY GM LIKES IT, BUT IT ALSO KEEPS EVERYBODY ELSE HAPPY.
IT IMPROVES THE PRODUCTIVITY OF ALL THE OTHER TECHS WHICH SHOULD IMPROVE CUSTOMER PAY, A "BRAIN SURGEON" FIXES THE VEHICLES WITH LESS COMEBACKS, CUSTOMERS GET THEIR VEHICLES FASTER, GM GETS "A BREAK", AND WE TAKE "THE HIT".
slilly

Postby MARY SHERICK » Mon Apr 26, 1999 11:03 pm

IF YOU DO SHORT YOUR CLAIM TIME, BUT FLAG TECH TIME FOR THESE REPAIRS, I HOPE YOU ARE AN OPTION C DEALER. IF YOU ARE ON OPTION A, WHAT YOU ARE DOING CAN BE USED TO INVALIDATE YOUR BODY SHOP LABOR RATE. I SAW THIS DONE DURING THE DELAMINATION FIASCO OF THE EARLY NINETIES. BE CAREFUL.
MARY SHERICK

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers