RAYTHEON AND "DISTANCE LEARNING"

Postby MARY SHERICK » Fri May 14, 1999 7:12 pm

NEW AND IMPROVED, FROM THE PEOPLE WHO BROUGHT YOU THE ESI, THIS TRAINING CHANGE WOULD BE FUNNY IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE ULTIMATE LOSERS, THE DEALERS, THE TECHS, AND THE CUSTOMERS. GM IN THEIR INFINITE WISDOM HAS DECIDED TO CUT THE HANDS-ON TRAINING AT A TIME WHEN THEIR VEHICLES ARE MORE COMPLICATED THAN EVER BEFORE. IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE TO CLOSE YOUR TRAINING CENTERS FIRST, THEN GO LOOKING FOR SITES TO HOLD YOUR TRAINING. SINCE THEY GOT A BID FROM RAYTHEON TO DO IT FOR HALF THE PRICE STG DID, AND THE DEALER IS NOW SUPPOSED TO PAY FORTY PERCENT OF THE COST, WHO SAVED ANY MONEY. OH YES, DON'T FORGET THE DEALERS MUST PURCHASE ADDITIONAL IN HOUSE EQUIPMENT AND IT IS SUGGESTED THEY "DEDICATE A ROOM TO TRAINING" IF THEY COULD RUN THIS PROGRAM LIKE BMW VISIONWERKE, IT MIGHT HELP SOME, BUT I'LL SEE IT WHEN I BELIEVE IT. EVEN BMW HAD SOME GROWING PAINS GETTING VISIONWERKE OFF THE GROUND. HOW MANY OF YOU ARE CLOSE ENOUGH TO A QUALITY ASEP PROGRAM COMMUNITY COLLEGE TO REASONABLY EXPECT TRAINING TO BE MORE CONVENIENT??
MARY SHERICK

Postby Michael White » Sat May 15, 1999 12:55 am

I tried to watch the GM Pulsat program on the 13th, which the memo said was Wednesday. Due to committments, I could not watch the program until the 6pm eastern standard time. Per the memo, there was suppose to be a 30 minute "countdown" signal. On Pulsat channel four, my system said we were blacked out.So I called the 888 number for pulsat help 25 minutes before the program was suppose to start. waited unitl 15 minutes after the program began, when I gave up and hung up. What a joke! I called pulsat and to my surprise,actually talked to someone within 30 seconds!. They said there was a software problem and they were swamped with calls. They are going to send me a video of the program.
Now for the juicy stuff, not only does our dealership have to spend $1600 per month for the new training, we also have to purchase several thousand dollars for video equipment, because we will need 2 locations in our facility. GM does a fine job of lowering their expenses, with no consideration for lowering ours. Granted not having to send someone to the training center is a benifit, but there is no way a video training is going to come close to "hands on" training. We have just spent $5,ooo to upgrade 2 of our ESI computers (T6 and T65) which again will cost sveral thousand a year to keep current. They suggest we have a terminal for every 2-3 techs. and want us to spend $2500 each per terminal, plus monthlys support and updates. This means 10 more GM access terminals just in our shop alone. But do yuou know what is real funny?? The GM ACCESS system can only handle 10 on line terminals at a time. OOPS!!!!!!!!!! Rumors also have it they are looking to replace all the GM Acces computers because they are too outdated. Well, I wonder how much our monthly fees will go up on this??

This is why they are trying to get ESI and service hooked up to the Internet. Roomer has it they are paranoid about things like the most recent Melissa Virus.
But you know, if the training is really first class and and the system works as well as BMW's system, then I will be glad they did it because the current GM training available to me, and I am already 100% minimum trained, cannot meet the needs of my shop. At least this type of training will allow more poeple access to training. But it better be good!!!!

Mike
Michael White

Postby slilly » Mon May 17, 1999 12:46 pm

MIKE,
BRAVO!!!! IT'S TOO BAD THAT GM DOESN'T SEE IT THAT WAY. THEY STILL SEEM TO BELIEVE IN THEIR OLD ADAGE, "WHATEVER IS GOOD FOR GM IS WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE CUSTOMER".

SAM
slilly

Postby jrcal » Mon May 17, 1999 1:13 pm

Well said!!

I believe the real cost is going to come in the form of higher warranty expenses because of the lack of "hands on" training. We all know there is no substitute for that type of training. When the warranty expenses start ballooning GM will blame the dealers and the dealers will point the finger at the lack of training available and then GM will probably open some more training facilities. In other words, the never ending cycle of GM trying to save money will end up costing the dealers and GM more money.

BTW please tell me more about BMW's program

------------------
JC
jrcal

Postby Michael White » Sat Jun 12, 1999 12:07 am

Weeks ago we signed up for the new training program. Our DSM thought we should have heard something by now. Has anyone gone to the next step, whatever that is? I think it is getting the equipment installed and begin using it. Just wanted to know if anyone has had any contact from them.

Mike White
Michael White

Postby MARY SHERICK » Thu Jun 17, 1999 11:13 pm

IN RESPONSE TO JRCAL, THE BMW PROGRAM IS CALLED VISIONWERKE. IT IS VERY MUCH LIKE A CABLE CHANNEL DEVOTED TO TRAINING VIDEO. THE CLASSES ARE GOOD, ESPECIALLY IN THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS. THE PROGRAM QUALITY HAS IMPROVED. IT IS AN INTERACTIVE SYSTEM, SIMILAR TO WHAT WAS BEING DESCRIBED BY THE FOLKS AT GM. HOWEVER, BMW RECOGNIZES THE NEED FOR QUALITY HANDS-ON TRAINING. IF GM CAN DO THIS AT THE SAME QUALITY LEVEL, IT WILL BE BETTER THAN THE OLD CPT SETUP, BUT IT IS NOT A MAGIC FIX-ALL.
MARY SHERICK

Postby Alan Nicholson » Sat Jun 19, 1999 12:40 pm

It is so discouraging to be unable to get the answers to so many questions these days. Distant learning is but another example of GMs decay, in starting new programs without having trained personnel available to assist dealers.. While I am not surprised, it continues to amaze me. I am not at all against change or in pushing the envelope, I do believe however in having ample, competent, and well trained people available after the launch to assist dealers during the transition.

Concerning "distant learning" I see in the program rules, that multi-line GM dealers only has to provide this system in one of his/her stores. This is an interesting point which brings me to our situation. In our town, there are three GM Dealers. I am proposing to all of our local dealers, that we set up two training rooms in the local Tech center, ( And they have agreed to the use of their facilities ) pay one fee of $1600.00 per month, share the training site and expenses among each local dealer, pro-rated based on each dealers planning potential and proposed GM charges. We currently drive 1 to 3 hours for our training classes, so across town, 10 to 15 minutes should be a breeze. Shared use and shared expense would at least bring the dealers cost to a much more agreeable figure. Wondering if this has crossed anyone elses mind and if anyone else has ask GM this question?

It is my opinion, this entire change is about money and not at all based on helping the dealer. Think about this: 10,000 dealers paying an average of $1,000 each month to GM for this new distant learning is a nice little sum of $10,000,000.00 each and every month. With 12 months in the year, GM now has a new cash cow generating $120,000,000.00 per year. This cant be a realistic charge for GM dealers and I have to ask Dealers, WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE?

------------------

Alan1149@aol.com
Alan Nicholson

Postby K. Lane » Tue Jun 22, 1999 3:26 pm

Another question is where are the qualified technicians going to come from to take all of this inadequate training? We've had two techs retire, & there's nobobdy out there to replace them, unless we headhunt from other stores.
K. Lane

Postby Alan Nicholson » Mon Aug 16, 1999 10:08 am

We have now heard that GM will base the dealer charges for "Distant Learning" on last years actual sales rather than planning potential. This will save our store $600.00 each month. Still, the $1000.00 per month charge is excessive.
I do not have a good feeling at all with the training center closings. Especially, with the severe shortage of qualified technicians.

------------------

Alan1149@aol.com
Alan Nicholson

Postby Michael White » Thu Aug 19, 1999 11:05 pm

they have called us to set up the installation. I have avoided them because the moment you are up and running, the monies start to add up. Currently they have nothing to offer. Why pay the bucks when there the items they have are not worth the time watching. It would be nice if GM communicates with all of us and tell us when they will be 100% on line
Mike White
Michael White

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers