Trans cooler Line flushing

Postby Michael White » Fri Oct 15, 1999 11:53 pm

GM has had the same trans cooler line flushing device for years, J 35944A. GM and the auditers, I understand, really emphaize the usage of this machine and this machine only. 2 recent bulletins, 99-07-30-020 and 99-07-30-017 recently issued will demonstrate this. GM has the chemical they use (along with about 10 gallons of water) listed as "environmentaly safe." Everyone should look at the MSDS on this product. Per the MSDS,you have to use special disposal methods for this product because it contains mineral oil and aliphatic petroleum distillates (per the MSDS supplied to me by Kent-Moore), and it specifically says do not dispose of it in sewer systems. Why is this a concern? Each time you flush the transmission lines, you generate about 10 gallons of contaminated water that requires special handling. In our case, about $1.35 per gallon.So every cooler line flush will cost you about $13.50 that you cannot recooperate.We do between 40-50 flushes like this a month and now it is starting to be big bucks. I do not think GM cares about the $500 plus a month this could cost us. But they should be aware we are generating 400-500 gallons of contaminated, special handling, water thistheir solvents. Times that by the number of GM dealerships in the country, and you have a severe hazardous waste problem.In a year,dealers could be spending $20,000,000 annually just to dispose of the waste product, and generate 15,000,000 gallons of hazardous waste annually with just this product. Why do they have us do this? They are concerned with poeple using chemical cleaners that could damage seals. I think the biggest concern is alcohol products. Talking to TAC, isn't water water a concern getting into the transmission as well??
Talking with many independants, there are many machines out there that have very acceptable flushing solvents that do not damage trans seals and they do not generate this kind of problem. Some use a solvent with a filter to keep everything clean and has a very long life to it, not to mention much more efficient than GM's tool. Granted you also have to dispose of this chemical, but it can be recycled and last many months and have no environemtal impact at all. As a large shop, I would be glad to purchase any tool GM says would resolve this concern, but somehting needs to replace this environmentally irresponsible machine. They are out there, and reasonably priced.
If this machine and chemical is so critical why don't they require it on all SERTA transmissions sold to independants? If the dealer does not use it, I believe there are cases the auditers have debitted claims . MAYBE ROB CAN VERIFY THIS. I have to assume this is a major oversight on GM, since GM has done excellent work being environmentally sensitive and friendly, and responsible.
The only reason every GM dealer should not be up in arms about this is if they are not disposing of the product properly( if you are then shame on you) or you are not using it and have a industry acceptable flushing tool other than GM's. If this is so, you need to be real careful.
I know GM will do the right thing about this when they think about it. What are others doing? What are other manufacturers requiring?
Mike
Michael White

Postby slilly » Mon Oct 18, 1999 12:10 pm

Mike,
I may have misunderstood, but now GM authorizes the NEW WYNN's flush equipment. Is this different or the same thing?

Sam
slilly

Postby bwaymire » Mon Oct 18, 1999 4:49 pm

Why are you doing so many flushes?? I am not sure I understand the need.
bwaymire

Postby Michael White » Wed Oct 20, 1999 1:09 am

Sam, the Wynns trans flush machine is a great machine for exchanging all the fluids in the transmission. I am convinced this process can significantly extend the life of the transmission. However, it is not used for the purposes described in the bulletin. Flushing the lines is to make sure there is no debri or contamination, plus you flow check the fluid through the lines. The Wynns machine is not a substitute, but a great machine.

Bwaymire, we have 4 transmission technicians. We will flush the cooler lines every time we take a transmission out of a vehicle for a trans problem, be it customer pay or warranty. This usually happens 2 to 3 times a day. We are a fairly large shop. Again the concern is a environmental one as well as a cost effective one. If you are like most of the dealers who have contacted me privately, I have yet to find a dealership disposing of the product properly, as directed by the MSDS. So if everyone does this with disregard to the environment, (mostly because they believe what GM says that it is a environmentally friendly cleaner and it is not),then there is no problem
Mike
Michael White

Postby David Henson » Fri Oct 22, 1999 10:22 pm

The original bulletin (77-71-59) said cooler line flushing should be done with any SRTA replacement, Major Overhaul, Torque Converter replacement or Oil Pump replacement.

I've always found it a little strange that the bulletin has you flushing the system with water in the first place. Instructors I've spoken with say you can get it all out with "blasts of air." How much would it take to contaminate the transmission fluid?

[This message has been edited by David Henson (edited 10-22-1999).]

David Henson

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers